Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Oxford University Pre-Masters/Graduate Admissions Questions Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I'm Canadian, and thinking of applying to Oxford University's pre-masters program in diplomacy. I graduated from the University of Toronto with an Honours Bachelor of Arts, however I dealt with a lot of mental health issues during my undergrad, and my grades are really lacking as a result (2.1 GPA, 61% overall).

I've taken a year out since my graduation to really figure out my mental state, and feel so much better. I know my grades aren't a result of being educationally challenged, but rather, a difficult period in my life. I was dealing with something that I had never dealt with before, and that seemingly came out of nowhere. I know I can succeed at a highly-ranked institution.

Anyway, I was thinking of applying to the Pre-Masters program. I was wondering if anyone with below average grades has ever successfully completed the Diplomacy course at Oxford, and gone on to study at the institution, or anywhere similar? Is there a point to me doing the (very expensive!) program? Will it actually bridge the academic gap, provided I excel in the course? Any insight would be very much appreciated!

Also, I am beginning applications to other schools in the UK, and wonder if I should include my struggles with mental health (specifically, OCD) in my personal statement...

I have a letter of recommendation from a very well published, and highly regarded professor in the field. Do you think an explanation of my poor grades in a personal statement, this letter and the pre-masters course will allow me entry into a graduate program I feel I am fit for?

Thank-you!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    First off, I'd contact admissions with your profile and see what they think, also mentioning your extenuating circumstances. If you manage to get hold of an admissions tutor (academic) then you can also ask about things like career prospects and what grads go on to do. Make sure that you've done your research and read what's on their website first though.

Your PS should be positive so if you want to mention your mental health issues do so in a formal professional and positive manner and only in a line or two. It should really be dealt with in your reference rather than in your PS. I may be wrong but I think for most grad level courses you need at least 2 refs.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 3, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.