Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B942 - Protection and Advertisement of Music Venues Bill 2016 watch

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    B942 - Protection and Advertisement of Music Venues Bill 2016, TSR Government

PROTECTION AND ADVERTISEMENT OF MUSIC VENUES BILL 2016
    An Act to protect music venues from closure due to noise complaints, and also to properly advertise any property within the surrounding area of a music venue.

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's most excellent Majesty, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1: DEFINITIONS
    (1) Music venue shall be any property with a minimum capacity of 150 people, in which live music is performed
    (1) a. Capacity shall be confirmed by Health and Safety officials who will determine how many people can safely fit within the property for a music concert
    (2) Surrounding area shall be different for venues of different capacities, the brackets denominating this are this are detailed in in Section 3 (1)a-g
    (1) a. The surrounding area shall be measured from the boundaries of the music venue
    (3) Owner shall be the person or persons who legally own the properties within the surrounding areas
    (4) Resident shall be anyone living in any of the properties within the surrounding areas
    (5) Live events shall be any event where a band or artist performs live in front of a crowd

2: ADVERTISEMENT OF MUSIC VENUES
    (1) All properties within the surround location of a music venue as defined in 1(a) shall have to carry a label when being sold or rented for any use which marks out the fact it is near a live music venue.
    (2) Anybody who purchases or rents a property within the surrounding area will be unable to levy a noise complaint against the music venue for live events so long as the music venue complies with the law in regards to at what times live bands can perform.
    (1) a. This does not affect the owners and residents within the surrounding area from levying complaints about anti-social behaviour by fans attending the show

3: SURROUNDING AREA SIZE BRACKETS
    (1) Any properties falling within the surrounding area of a music venue must carry a label showing this.
    (1) a. The Surrounding area for venues with a capacity between 150-1,500 is 100 metres
    (1) b. The Surrounding area for venues with a capacity between 1,501-5,500 is 150 metres
    (1) c. The Surrounding area for venues with a capacity between 5,501-15,000 is 200 metres
    (1) d. The Surrounding area for venues with a capacity between 15,001-25,000 is 250 metres

4: COMMENCEMENT, SHORT TITLE AND EXTENT
    (1) This Act may be cited as the Music Venues Act 2016
    (2) This Act shall extend to the United Kingdom; and
    (3) Shall come into force on 1st April 2016.

NotesThis bill is to help protect the British live music scene. Over the years British music has gone from strength to strength, with bands and artists like The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Black Sabbath, David Bowie and Iron Maiden flying the British flag in the 1960s, 70s and 80s, and more recently bands and artists such as Adele and Muse. However we must look to protecting the future of British music by making sure the venues for bands to play, and fans to attend remain open, already we have seen many venues, some of them with long histories seeing now stadium filling bands such as the Foo Fighters, close due to new residents moving into the area and then complaining about the noise, despite moving next to a live music venue. British music is unique and something we can all be proud of as a nation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-27528613
    https://petition.parliament.uk/archived/petitions/70689
    http://www.brixtonbuzz.com/2014/01/b...ise-complaint/
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Is there actually much of a problem or is this based on one or two cases. Also capacity can be a funny thing to measure

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Aye. I would, however, get rid of the minimum capacity limit - most gigs I go to are in <150 capacity venues, often sold out = 50 tickets sold.

ReputationRep:
    Also, I don't see the point in placing a limit on the radius of banned complaints about noise emanating from that venue.

ReputationRep:
    I support most of this Bill; I think we definitely need to protect such venues, as long as they stick to rules and regulations, etc.

As I'm not an MP, I'm not sure if I can even debate this.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I can see the benefit if this is a problem, if not it may unfairly affect house prices - in the sense they could fall due to a notice rather than noticeable pollution.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Whiggy)
    I support most of this Bill; I think we definitely need to protect such venues, as long as they stick to rules and regulations, etc.

As I'm not an MP, I'm not sure if I can even debate this.
    You can join the debate, the only difference is MPs vote

and as for the bill... AYEEE!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Is there actually much of a problem or is this based on one or two cases. Also capacity can be a funny thing to measure

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It has been an issue in the music world for the past few years, especially with gentrification of areas immediately around the venues

(Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Aye. I would, however, get rid of the minimum capacity limit - most gigs I go to are in <150 capacity venues, often sold out = 50 tickets sold.
    Also, I don't see the point in placing a limit on the radius of banned complaints about noise emanating from that venue.
    Scrapping the minimum capacity limit isn't an issue I am sure.

The radius was of some dispute, it was much larger before going to the house, but I wanted to send it out to get all possible feedback and criticism so this is something I will consider

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanE1998)
    You can join the debate, the only difference is MPs vote

and as for the bill... AYEEE!!!!!!!
    Thanks for enlightening me!

ReputationRep:
    Aye. However, the minimum capacity clause is a concern. I go to a lot of gigs in a tiny independent venue. It's absolutely brilliant and I wouldn't want it penalised for being too small.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EricAteYou)
    I can see the benefit if this is a problem, if not it may unfairly affect house prices - in the sense they could fall due to a notice rather than noticeable pollution.
    You say that like falling house prices is a bad thing.

ReputationRep:
    Aye aye aye!

ReputationRep:
    Seems like a non-issue to me. Convince me!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Most music venues don't have this kind of problem e.g. the O2 - can you really see someone calling the police to complain?

But AYE AYE AYE!

Although I'd say greater than 150 is a bit high, if you look at places like the Soho Theatre, that only has a capacity of 140...
    I'd say change that to about 100, then we're suckin diesel.

DRINK!!!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    It has been an issue in the music world for the past few years, especially with gentrification of areas immediately around the venues

Scrapping the minimum capacity limit isn't an issue I am sure.

The radius was of some dispute, it was much larger before going to the house, but I wanted to send it out to get all possible feedback and criticism so this is something I will consider
    Then deal with gentrification, it's a load of crap anyway, I think

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    While I would like to that is a long term issue, this is a solution to something happening right now, not just due to gentrification but in part due to it

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We're trying to by banning being rich but you pesky Tories keep getting in the way.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    You say that like falling house prices is a bad thing.
    It can be if it's sudden and localised. For people who may want to sell or treat their property as a retirement, all of a sudden their house is worth less than next door.

I think looking at the sort of places where there are these music venues the advantages of this bill outweigh the negatives.

ReputationRep:
    I declare an interest in the matter having been in a choir that recorded at Abbey Road, and having musicians in the family.

I suggest that for a second reading of the Bill there is a definition of the time that music at such venues can be within the scope of the Bill. Perhaps up to 1030pm, with 11pm on Saturdays? I also agree with the suggestion of some members of the House not to have a minimum capacity.

Too complicated to add to clause 1.5 of the Bill that it is real music, with no miming and real playing of instruments, i suspect. Miming is not a live performance in my opinion, neither are bad karaoke groups such as Little Mix.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    I declare an interest in the matter having been in a choir that recorded at Abbey Road, and having musicians in the family.

I suggest that for a second reading of the Bill there is a definition of the time that music at such venues can be within the scope of the Bill. Perhaps up to 1030pm, with 11pm on Saturdays? I also agree with the suggestion of some members of the House not to have a minimum capacity.

Too complicated to add to clause 1.5 of the Bill that it is real music, with no miming and real playing of instruments, i suspect. Miming is not a live performance in my opinion, neither are bad karaoke groups such as Little Mix.
    When was the last time you went to a concert which finished by 10.30?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 7, 2016
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.