The Student Room Group

question help

hey guys, almost completed an application for an off-cycle internship. A bit stumped on this question:

In your own words, please describe the function of the division to which you are applying. Please do not exceed 150 words in your answer.

What exactly do they want from this? Is it as simple as literally talking about what the division does? or do they want me to discuss latest deals of the division etc? I don't mind going into more detail but don't want it to be seen as waffle.
Original post by Oilfreak1
hey guys, almost completed an application for an off-cycle internship. A bit stumped on this question:

In your own words, please describe the function of the division to which you are applying. Please do not exceed 150 words in your answer.

What exactly do they want from this? Is it as simple as literally talking about what the division does? or do they want me to discuss latest deals of the division etc? I don't mind going into more detail but don't want it to be seen as waffle.

Literally just describe the purpose of the division, how it fits into the wider organisation and a brief explanation of the sort of activities undergone by said division. It's only 150 words so be succinct.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Princepieman
Literally just describe the purpose of the division, how it fits into the wider organisation and a brief explanation of the sort of activities undergone by said division. It's only 150 words so be succinct.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Always on point, always swift with your answers :biggrin:.
Any tips for the numerical reasoning test, can it still slip me up with an engineering degree - are the practice tests online similar to what i'll have to do?
Always on point, always swift with your answers :biggrin:.
Any tips for the numerical reasoning test, can it still slip me up with an engineering degree - are the practice tests online similar to what i'll have to do?

It definitely can hahaha, more so because of the time pressure than anything.

I recommend some of the paid test practice sites (I use Assessment Day): JobTestPrep, GraduateFirst, Assessment Day etc. Then, if you find which provider it is they'll normally have a practice test on their website. But yeah, the key is to get a feel for the style of these tests and for you to test out a few strategies to cope with the time pressure. Content wise, it's nothing more difficult than pre-GCSE maths (ratios/arithmetic/% change) etc.
Reply 4
It definitely can hahaha, more so because of the time pressure than anything.

I recommend some of the paid test practice sites (I use Assessment Day): JobTestPrep, GraduateFirst, Assessment Day etc. Then, if you find which provider it is they'll normally have a practice test on their website. But yeah, the key is to get a feel for the style of these tests and for you to test out a few strategies to cope with the time pressure. Content wise, it's nothing more difficult than pre-GCSE maths (ratios/arithmetic/% change) etc.

Do you reckon if I do 5-6 of the numerical reasoning tests from Assessment Day I'll be good to do the real thing? I'm sure my application will fall short somewhere else but I don't want to miss out an an interview because of a maths test :P.

Complete all 3 sections of the application form - basic information, numerical test and longer questions

I'm assuming the "longer questions" are the three 150 word questions i'm doing? the way it's laid out (doing essays before numerical) is making it look like i'm gonna have more essays to do after I complete the numeracy test.
Do you reckon if I do 5-6 of the numerical reasoning tests from Assessment Day I'll be good to do the real thing? I'm sure my application will fall short somewhere else but I don't want to miss out an an interview because of a maths test :P.

Complete all 3 sections of the application form - basic information, numerical test and longer questions

I'm assuming the "longer questions" are the three 150 word questions i'm doing? the way it's laid out (doing essays before numerical) is making it look like i'm gonna have more essays to do after I complete the numeracy test.

Yeah, should be good to go.

I'm pretty sure the 150 word questions cover the 'longer questions' segment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
nvm I want trial by fire :biggrin:.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
@Princepieman
Completed one application doing my final now for J.P. Morgan (not expecting results but good habits to get into I guess :biggrin:). Got a quick question about this question (lol)

Please write about a recent news article that has interested you and howyou feel that subject would relate to J.P. Morgan (200 words)

I've written an answer which i'm pretty happy with but just wanted to check with you it's not waffle.

1 - Introduce the article briefly outline what it covers (29% of answer).

2 - Why it interests me (43% of answer), this is what scares me it wasn't outright asked but I put alot of content in this part, this isn't waffle as I invested in a stock mentioned in the article and have profited 200% so far - I just outlined the process behind investing in this stock. So not really waffle but potentially irrelevant and detracting from the question? It does highlight that i'm not totally clueless though. Wow even on my TSR question it took way too much priority :/.

3. How it relates to JPM and how great JPM is (28%)

if you'd like to assess it properly I can pm you my answer if not a simple you ****ed up will suffice :smile:.
(edited 8 years ago)
@Princepieman
Completed one application doing my final now for J.P. Morgan (not expecting results but good habits to get into I guess :biggrin:). Got a quick question about this question (lol)

Please write about a recent news article that has interested you and howyou feel that subject would relate to J.P. Morgan (200 words)

I've written an answer which i'm pretty happy with but just wanted to check with you it's not waffle.

1 - Introduce the article briefly outline what it covers (29% of answer).

2 - Why it interests me (43% of answer), this is what scares me it wasn't outright asked but I put alot of content in this part, this isn't waffle as I invested in a stock mentioned in the article and have profited 200% so far - I just outlined the process behind investing in this stock. So not really waffle but potentially irrelevant and detracting from the question? It does highlight that i'm not totally clueless though. Wow even on my TSR question it took way too much priority :/.

3. How it relates to JPM and how great JPM is (28%)

if you'd like to assess it properly I can pm you my answer if not a simple you ****ed up will suffice :smile:.

Sounds good actually, the weighting on each component is just about what I'd do.

Feel free to PM if you want :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Sounds good actually, the weighting on each component is just about what I'd do.

Feel free to PM if you want :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Rapid response as usual. Thanks for the reassurance :smile:, don't think i'll burden you with it i'll let HR review it :P. After all actually securing the internship will just be a bonus, i'm doing this to get used to independently applying/writing answers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending