Turn on thread page Beta

Do I have what it takes to get into Stanford? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm currently in Year 11, and nearing my GCSEs. I'm predicted anywhere from 6-10 GCSE A*s out of 12.5 depending on how things go. I'm hoping if I do end up on the low side, I can make up with my extracurriculars which US universities tend to look more at. My involvements include:

- starting a website for students to connect to charities and projects
    - creating an after school programming course, which I ran for a year
    - being part of the head team of our school TEDx event
    - designing the layout of the school newspaper as part of the head team
    - designing websites and graphics for local charities
    - getting into Apple's Youth WWDC Scholarship
    - being a student council representative for 4 years

What else should I do to have any chance of getting in?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    By American standards, your ECs are average. Quality is much more important than quantity, they're looking for people who have done really exceptional things, e.g. starting your own business, written a book or organising a public campaign for a cause you care about. Stanford's website says:

Students often assume our primary concern is the number of activities in which one participates. In fact, an exceptional depth of experience in one or two activities may demonstrate your passion more than minimal participation in five or six clubs. We want to see the impact you have had on that club, in your school, or in the larger community, and we want to learn of the impact that experience has had on you.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.