Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do you think it's true. Please share your views, I'm really interested!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Give us the uninitiated a little clue so we can follow the discussion, while you are waiting for more posters

I think it's a really interesting concept, it makes sense to me and I subscribe to this view

ReputationRep:
    I may have misunderstood this, but isn't it pretty much impossible to deny that qualia exists? Because I'm obviously aware of being conscious right now, and of experiencing different mental states. Interesting to think about the implications of that though...

(Original post by TeeEm)
    Give us the uninitiated a little clue so we can follow the discussion, while you are waiting for more posters
    It's to do with the question of whether the mind and the brain are the same thing or not. One reason someone might say they're not is because our minds have 'qualia', i.e. 'what it's like to experience a certain mental state'. But our brains don't have this. So (apparently) mind & brain can't be the same thing.

E.g. If I hurt myself then you could theoretically tell I was feeling pain from looking at the activity in my brain. However, you wouldn't understand what 'feeling pain' was actually like for me- this is the qualia bit, & only I experience it because only I am inside my mind. You wouldn't be able to find the qualia of pain anywhere in my brain.

Hope I explained that ok haha x

ReputationRep:
    Qualia is a philosophical term/topic, it comes from the word 'qualis' for anyone doing Latin (meaning 'what sort of').

Imagine you're trying to describe the colour of a subset to a blind person who has never seen colour. You can't! Since we don't have the ability in language to describe then exact as they are.

From a young age we are told what the colours look like, purple is a dark colour and orange is a warm colour. But we could be setting different colours, so I see green when you see blue, but we both refer to our as blue because we have been told that this specific colour is colour x, even though we see colour y, but we wouldn't know the difference.

Basically, qualia are things that we cannot easily describe to one another or that we might each perceive slightly differently based on a variety of reasons.

Will we ever have the linguistic ability to describe pain, colour, sounds etc. ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khaleesi98)
    I
    It's to do with the question of whether the mind and the brain are the same thing or not. One reason someone might say they're not is because our minds have 'qualia', i.e. 'what it's like to experience a certain mental state'. But our brains don't have this. So (apparently) mind & brain can't be the same thing.

On the flip side, our brains can affect our qualia, and qualia can affect our brain (hence our ability to talk about it). However, our brains are also not affected by an "unknown factor" that could be an qualia, meaning it must remain in the brain.

ReputationRep:
    http://altereddimensions.net/2013/bu...amongst-flames

It seems to me the little girl in the flames is a form of something called quale.

Name:  1457038827399.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  43.6 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.