Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How many countries have you been to? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vindobona)
    My favourite is Canada. Not only because of the friendliness and open-mindedness of Canadians, but mainly because of its untouched nature, wide range of different landscapes, 47 national parks and low density of population. For me, driving down a Canadian highway next to epic mountains, forests and lakes without seeing any other car for an hour is the definition of absolute freedom. I did an epic solo road trip across Canada last year during which I managed to travel to 10 out of 13 provinces and territories, including remote Inuit communities far north of the arctic circle.

But I also like Central America (namely Mexico, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Cuba) very much because of their relaxed vibe and passion for the simple and fun things in life.

As for your second question... I just love travelling and do it whenever I can. I try not to be materialistic but to enjoy every moment in life, so I spend most of my money and all of my vacation days on travelling. I was lucky enough to travel quite a lot with my parents when I was younger, and now (I'm 26) I just do weekend trips to European destinations several times a year and long-haul trips to other continents 2 to 4 times a year.

I worked very hard in a multinational corporation for 2.5 years (as in, 60 hour weeks) and managed to put some travel money aside because my salary was decent. Meanwhile, I have quit the job in order to focus on doing a PhD and travel whenever I can. I also stick to the same airline alliance (oneworld) whenever I fly, which allows me to collect a lot of frequent flyer miles and redeem them for free long-haul flights. 2 years ago I flew to Australia and back without paying anything (except miles) and this year I did the same with Costa Rica in business class.

Also, my main goal is not to tick countries off my list but to cover as much as possible in any country I go to. No matter how small or underdeveloped the country, I always go out of the capital city to see some smaller towns, the countryside, and the natural highlights of the country.

This reply was actually longer than planned, but that pretty much sums up my travel behaviour
    I must admit that if it weren't for my mother, I'd have likely never traveled as much as I have. She literally forced me at times to step outside of my comfort zone (still does), but in retrospect it was all worthwhile and I'd totally do it again. (One particularly ambitious plan I still have is driving from Berlin to Vladivostok...we shall see whether I ever make it)

Unfortunately, I have the tendency of being idealistic when it comes to exploring new countries and when I get there I am inevitably disappointed (I wish it weren't so), therefore I often find that revisiting a place offers an entirely different perspective and I usually return with a far more positive impression. I do admire people who seem to be able to just accept a place at first glance and who are open to the full cultural experience from the start.

I haven't traveled through South America at all yet (really want to though), instead I spent quite a bit of time "road tripping" through Southern Africa (Tanzania, Kenya, Malawi, Zambia, Namibia) which has probably been my craziest travel experience to date. ( Our car broke down innumerable times in the most inconveniently remote spots, among other things, but then that is probably all part of the travel experience )

That road trip through Canada sounds amazing I've only been to Vancouver (long time ago) and Niagara Falls, so not much.
    When it comes to the North American continent all I have really done is drive cross-country in the U.S. several times, but the longer I live in Europe (Germany, in my case) the less I like it there. Their mentality and lifestyle just isn't something I find appealing any longer.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed response. Always love hearing about fellow world-travellers' experiences.

P.S. Should I reach 56 countries by my 26th birthday (20 at the moment) I shall inform you that you have been outdone
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Desideria)
    ...and which would you still like to visit?

My count is 32.
    I still want to visit Iceland, Russia, Australia, Norway, Jordan and Oman. Malaysia and Morocco might be interesting as well. My only goal is to reach 40 within the next five years. Silly, I know.

How about you?
    9, I'm leaving to Uni soon and after that, I can hopefully visit more
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by RivalPlayer)
    None. But I live in London so it's like having the 3rd world on your doorstep.
    You've never left the UK?! o-o

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balanced)
    9, I'm leaving to Uni soon and after that, I can hopefully visit more
    Any specific countries on your list yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balanced)
    You've never left the UK?! o-o
    Nah, I've never left.

ReputationRep:
    hezzlington How many have you been to?

ReputationRep:
    I have visited 13 countries

ReputationRep:
    I've been to;

Pakistan (standard)
    Greece (wiv da lads innit)

And I can add the UAE to this tiny list next month :yes:
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    none :/ except for this one
    feel so uncultured...

ReputationRep:
    21 I think. This includes countries within countries(eg. Catelonia in Spain) and countries I've just driven through or changed flights at.

ReputationRep:
    Brazil, France, Holland, Germany, Austria, Czech Rep, Spain, Italy, Swizerland, Malta, Gozo, Dubai, Oman, Australia, Zambia, Namibia and Botswana. Not too bad list for a 17 year old.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Any specific countries on your list yet?
    4x Bonaire (Carribean)
    14x Holland (I'm dutch)
    3xGermany
    3xBelgium
    3xFrance
    1xAustria
    2xSpain
    6xwales
    2xscotland

ReputationRep:
    ...and which would you still like to visit?

My count is 32.
    I still want to visit Iceland, Russia, Australia, Norway, Jordan and Oman. Malaysia and Morocco might be interesting as well. My only goal is to reach 40 within the next five years. Silly, I know.

How about you?
    3 countries, and I want to live around the Arctic due to global warming, and whilst I do hate snow, I hate sun even more due to sweat (you have no idea!), and I like the mountains of Iceland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Samosa)
    I've been to;

Pakistan (standard)
    Greece (wiv da lads innit)

And I can add the UAE to this tiny list next month :yes:
    Where in Greece did you go?

ReputationRep:
    Do countries were we stop for a bot to get connection flights count?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eternalflames)
    Where in Greece did you go?
    Crete :innocent:

ReputationRep:
    Malia?
    I've been to Santorini, Naxos and Athens with my family

ReputationRep:
    :five:

I went to Chania, wbu?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eternalflames)
    Malia?
    I've been to Santorini, Naxos and Athens with my family
    Maybe :ninja:

Oh cool! I really wanna visit Athens, I plan on visiting as many historical places in different countries in the future

(Original post by nucdev)
    :five:

I went to Chania, wbu?
    I went to the crappy part of the island (see above) :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    Maybe :ninja:

Oh cool! I really wanna visit Athens, I plan on visiting as many historical places in different countries in the future
    Loool! - The lad's holiday gave it away

You definitely should visit, I loved it because I love Ancient History, especially Ancient Greece.
    I want to visit a few more Islands and see more of the Ancient History, so Crete is a must for me because of the Minotaur stuff

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.