The Student Room Group

Cambridge Medicine 2017 Entry

Hi I realise that it's still early days but since there isn't a forum for this, I thought that I would make one so we can start discussing things :biggrin::biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Hey,

what are your stats?
hey guys if youre interested i also made a thread for king college london and barts click if you are interested

kings
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3942321

barts
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3946201
Original post by RattyApple
Hey,

what are your stats?

For gcses i got 9 a*'s and 2 a's.
what about you?
Original post by pandasandpens
For gcses i got 9 a*'s and 2 a's.
what about you?

I got 11A*s, but am not too confident about my AS results :/
Original post by MedicalJunkie
hey guys if youre interested i also made a thread for king college london and barts click if you are interested

kings
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3942321

barts
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3946201

Thanks!
I got 11A*s, but am not too confident about my AS results :/

how come? what subjects are you doing?
how come? what subjects are you doing?

Maths, Chem, Bio and German. I don't know, it just feels as if time is slipping.

What about yourself?
Maths, Chem, Bio and German. I don't know, it just feels as if time is slipping.

What about yourself?

Maths, further maths, biology, chemistry and physics

I completely understand how you feel. Never seem to have enough time.
Reading all the medicine forums, i'm now worried as there seem to be way more rejections then offers :s-smilie: At least we're all in this together :biggrin:
Don't worry you guys! U'll get into amazing unis anyway :smile: Plus if u don't get an offer from Cambridge it doesn't mean you failed, it just simply means that they had to choose between you and another amazing student! For medicine though they probs had to choose 1 amazing person out of like a couple of amazing students haha. Very competitive! Applying for a medicine degree is an achievement itself :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maths, further maths, biology, chemistry and physics

I completely understand how you feel. Never seem to have enough time.
Reading all the medicine forums, i'm now worried as there seem to be way more rejections then offers :s-smilie: At least we're all in this together :biggrin:

Exactly- we can do this!
Hi, what have you guys done so far in terms of work experience/volunteering/extra curricular?
Original post by NeverGrowUp
Hi, what have you guys done so far in terms of work experience/volunteering/extra curricular?

I've done long term volunteering, for a few hours per week. I have also done one week in a hospital. It's difficult to know how much is sufficient, because the advice I've been given is talk in detail about placements and what you learnt, not just listing many.
Original post by Jeena_hunt5476
Don't worry you guys! U'll get into amazing unis anyway :smile: Plus if u don't get an offer from Cambridge it doesn't mean you failed, it just simply means that they had to choose between you and another amazing student! For medicine though they probs had to choose 1 amazing person out of like a couple of amazing students haha. Very competitive! Applying for a medicine degree is an achievement itself :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I like your positivity, thanks! :biggrin:
I've done long term volunteering, for a few hours per week. I have also done one week in a hospital. It's difficult to know how much is sufficient, because the advice I've been given is talk in detail about placements and what you learnt, not just listing many.

Ive done a similar amount. Im hoping its enough as other people have seem to have done loads.
Most people do say its how you reflect though so fingers crossed :biggrin:
Ive done a similar amount. Im hoping its enough as other people have seem to have done loads.
Most people do say its how you reflect though so fingers crossed :biggrin:

What kind of hobbies are you including, or any at all?
What kind of hobbies are you including, or any at all?

Woah sorry I haven't replied for ages.
I think i'll probably include keyboard grade 6, dofe, ncs etc.
I'm really debating whether I want to apply to Cambridge :s-smilie:

I didn't go to the full university open day, so I'll probably go to one of the college open days.

I don't know how I feel about the traditional course, though. I haven't done enough research into it, though, and I'm not certain whether I'll be suited to it. That said, I think Cambridge would be such a stimulating place to learn, and surely it will open so many doors.

I don't know if I stand a good chance (7A*3A(Including English Lit and Lang)1B), AAAA at AS, with good UMS and Raw Marks in linear subjects I think, and I'll probably be predicted at least A*A*A

But what are the advantages of the traditional course? How can I be certain that it's for me?

I think I would love to study at Cambridge, but the question here, is, would I love to study medicine at Cambridge?
Original post by Lementation
Hey man,
If you're not predicted all A*'s your already at a huge disadvantage for medicine. Offer holders average at 97% ums.

Why I like traditional courses: you get your knowledge and then apply it. I don't want to go into clinical medicine knowing only part of what I need!

Medicine at Cambridge is most likely not as socially fun as other Unis, but idk about you, but I want to be a doctor and I want to be the best doctor I can be. If this means sacrificing a lot of my social life for the best teaching and knowledge in the world, so be it. If you do not feel similar to me then medicine is not for you. If you want to have all the knowledge and then put it into practice, then traditional is for you. Think back to any projects you made in your childhood or in school. Here is my metaphor for traditional vs not traditional medicine: Did you prefer to go straight in and make a project and just use a bit of trial and error and get hands on feedback? (Yes, you will learn more about hands on work, I.e. What machine works best for what job, or what tools that work best for X job), or do you prefer planning every little detail, doing your research on what works and what glues don't work, what theoretical tool works best etc.) if it is the latter, perhaps traditional will suit you. This is not an accurate metaphor, but it is the only thing I can come up with. Do you like learning as you go? Or learn all of your stuff and then do the job. It can be applied to being a doctor.

Up to you mate, you do qualify well to apply for med at cam, but you're definitely academically not an outstandingly strong applicant. But u may do well in bmat and interview so who knows! Best of luck

To be honest, I think I probably will be predicted A*A*A*, but I just don't know for certain as of right now :wink:

Average UMS of 97%? That's so high! I find that hard to believe :eek:

I don't know, I think social life of Cambridge is what you make of it! I think it could be as fun as anywhere else :h:

I think you're analogy actually really helped, though :h: I prefer to learn on the job, as I think it sinks in quicker, and you remember it properly? Or at least, that's how it works for me :smile:

So, I don't think I'm going to apply to Cambridge. I still think it would be an amazing place to study, and it would be so intellectually stimulating, but the course just isn't for me :smile: Thanks for helping me realise that :h:

Spoiler

My average UMS is only 90%, (only one subject had UMS) does this mean I should not even bother applying? I just don't want to give up on it as I got 10A*s and 3A's at GCSE, and 5As at AS and likely to be predicted 4 A*s...

Quick Reply