Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lementation)
    FOI requests mainly, check them out. Google "cambridge medicine FOI" and you can find some pretty big spreadsheets / smaller ones for certain colleges and they give a fair amount of statistical data.
    Will do

Im assuming 27 marks over the A boundary totally, so 13 marks over in one paper and 14 in the other? I think you are a very strong applicant and do not think you are "risking" it at cambridge because as it stands ur application is very strong so far. But I see where you are coming from with the course. I really like imperials way, maybe more than the traditional. If you dont go for Cambridge (i think u should, becasue you will easily get offers from your other 3), you should apply to imperial instead/as well!
    12 and 15, actually Not certain for Chemistry.
    The thing is with Imperial, they ask for 10 days in a medical enviroment, and I don't quite have that. If they definitely included volunteer work like care homes, I think I'd have it. That said, I'm very happy with all my choices at the moment, although I guess we'll see once I've visited Newcastle and Barts :lol:

Thank you very much though I'm certain you'll get many offers, also!

ReputationRep:
    Lementation hey man, sorry I didn't reply to your DM about this, I'm so bad at replying haha

I asked the Christ's AT the same question on their most recent thread about average AS UMS of a SUCCESSFUL applicant, and they gave me a spreadsheet. It's 95.8% for medicine

GCSEs: 11A*s
    I only did maths externally this year and I did my full a level:
    99.0% in the AS
    96.3% overall (A*)
    College: dillydallying about Clare but idk

ReputationRep:
    Let's start the page back up, follow my structure ONLY if you are definitely applying to Cambridge !

GCSEs : 10A*'s 2a's
    AS:
    biology (modular) 298/300
    maths (modular) 300/300
    (99.7% ums avg)
    Chem (linear) predicted A*
    Phys (linear) predicted A*
    College choice: St. Johns
    Biology was modular???

ReputationRep:
    Only did one non-linear A level but obtained a ums of 81 otherwise got 5As, do you guys think its worth applying to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isabella1999)
    Yeah I was thinking I will regret not applying so might as well they interview most people anyway right so maybe can make up for it there idk. Aha thanks. Debating on whether trying to ask a teacher to put one of my chemistry raw marks in the reference (I got 69/70 or 73 idk which) but as they are not asking for them at all do you think it will be pointless?
    Not pointless at all or 'unwise'. It's rare to get almost full marks in an exam so it'll look very good. Plus it's giving them up-to-date information on your academic performance. I'm in the same boat as you and my teacher wants to put my Chemistry score (67/70) on my reference XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentsixth)
    Not pointless at all or 'unwise'. It's rare to get almost full marks in an exam so it'll look very good. Plus it's giving them up-to-date information on your academic performance. I'm in the same boat as you and my teacher wants to put my Chemistry score (67/70) on my reference XD
    Yeah that's what I thought but idk haha! Ooh well done! Wish they still had chemistry UMS hahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandie12)
    Only did one non-linear A level but obtained a ums of 81 otherwise got 5As, do you guys think its worth applying to
    I don't know, try emailing admissions

ReputationRep:
    How do people usually decide what College to apply for, for medicine?

ReputationRep:
    They're all similar so you might as well go for the one that you like the most Having said that, certain ones are known to be hard to get into (Emmanuel, Cauis, Trinity, St Johns) and ones are easier to get into (Girton etc) but the difference isn't huge.
    Girton
    Churchill
    Trinity hall
    Magdalene
    Gonville&Caius

Hopefully I've spelt them all correctly, do you know about those ones in terms of competitiveness, although I am very aware all of them are competitive as you stated above.

Also are you applying to medicine now or are you already in medicine?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Anyone sent off their application yet? Sent mine to the school who are going to add references, it all feels so final now!

ReputationRep:
    Is Caius really one of the hardest to get into for medicine? They have a lower applicant to place ratio than most - what makes you think it's harder? I was going to apply to Caius but not too sure now. They don't seem to answer FOI requests much either so can't really see stats of offer holders. I have heard it's very competitive when you are actually there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizzilou99)
    Is Caius really one of the hardest to get into for medicine? They have a lower applicant to place ratio than most - what makes you think it's harder? I was going to apply to Caius but not too sure now. They don't seem to answer FOI requests much either so can't really see stats of offer holders. I have heard it's very competitive when you are actually there.
    I wouldn't take that person's post too seriously.

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying to Cambridge for 2017 entry, likely Clare college.

96% average UMS (only modular AS was maths - 288/300, but still the highest in the year) with the highest raw marks in all of my linear subjects (Chemistry, Biology and Physics). Is this fact worth mentioning?
    Other stats which may be of importance: 8A*s, 3As and triple A* prediction.
    Very low performing state school - haven't send anyone to Oxbridge for the past 15 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kozmo)
    I'm applying to Cambridge for 2017 entry, likely Clare college.

96% average UMS (only modular AS was maths - 288/300, but still the highest in the year) with the highest raw marks in all of my linear subjects (Chemistry, Biology and Physics). Is this fact worth mentioning?
    Other stats which may be of importance: 8A*s, 3As and triple A* prediction.
    Very low performing state school - haven't send anyone to Oxbridge for the past 15 years.
    WOw your stats are great, especially from a low performing school, you should definitly get an interview! Definitly mention them! I was going to mention my 65 and 69/73 in chemistry papers but decided not to as my biology raw marks were not as great and teachers said to mention them all or nothing. You should!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isabella1999)
    WOw your stats are great, especially from a low performing school, you should definitly get an interview! Definitly mention them! I was going to mention my 65 and 69/73 in chemistry papers but decided not to as my biology raw marks were not as great and teachers said to mention them all or nothing. You should!
    Thank you!

Would you say it's worth mentioning the exact raw marks or just noting that I achieved the highest in my school in every subject?
    I think the latter may be more suitable as it'll save on characters.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kozmo)
    Thank you!

Would you say it's worth mentioning the exact raw marks or just noting that I achieved the highest in my school in every subject?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Those exact marks/highest in school are probably better mentioned in the reference rather than the personal statement. Yes, it would also be worth mentioning highest in school in every subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    Those exact marks/highest in school are probably better mentioned in the reference rather than the personal statement. Yes, it would also be worth mentioning highest in school in every subject.
    Yes, just as something to raise to my teacher which may be worth mentioning. - that's what I meant anyhow, probably wasn't too clear!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kozmo)
    Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I would say the latter

ReputationRep:
    What makes you think this?

Cauis and Emmanuel are definitely at the harder end to get into. Check out the FOI for Emma and compare it to other colleges, you'll see what I mean.
    I just disagree with the post. :p: I don't see how Churchill is described as a "safe bet" (what do you mean by that?), and yet Caius is apparantely "insane". I don't really think Caius is any more difficult to get into than other colleges tbh.

To be fair, I haven't looked at the FOI requests though.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by andrewszk)
    Wow only 5 people?! I think about 50 people are applying from my college, but then again it's a very large college.
    Only 2 are applying for Medicine from my college, one of them being me, and the other applying for foundation medicine. There are only two Oxbridge applicants too (including me) but the other is applying for an Arts type degree.

My college doesn't perform very well, so I'm hoping this works in my favour 😓

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.