Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Hey guys - I want to intercalate in a BSc externally from my med school (UEA) in September. I've been looking at courses for a while now and struggling to make a decision! My current thinking is this:

    1. It would be good to intercalate in clinical sciences which lets me do a lab project. I want to get some experience in lab research and think this would be much more useful than a straight up literature project / dissertation to get some experience now in case I decide I want to do some science research in the future. It would also have teaching on clinical research methods which, while I have never particularly enjoyed, I have never really given a fair chance. I feel a a bit clueless trying to look at any clinical papers now so this would probably be helpful for the future, and might make me feel more comfortable in taking part in projects later down the line. I'm currently thinking Leeds / Bristol for this.

    2. If I was going on pure interest I would choose a molecular / cell biology degree as I believe I would find the science quite fascinating, and could also do a lab project. I'm not really sure that would be quite as useful in the future though as it won't have a clinical research side to it, and isn't quite as neat as the above - I'm not really sure where I would be jumping onto in the 3rd year, where my knowledge might be lacking, especially with no experience in any kind of practical lab techniques. There's quite a few places I could probably do this.

    Could anyone that's intercalated in any of these subjects give me any advice on how they found it all / any other advice or tips? Thanks!
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 3, 2016

University open days

  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.