The Student Room Group

Freaking Out

I actually can't handle it anymore.
I'm thinking if I should not sit next to my friends during class so that I can actually focus in class, is that a good idea?
Anyone got any good revision techniques or should I just do past papers?
Original post by thea_

I'm thinking if I should not sit next to my friends during class so that I can actually focus in class, is that a good idea?

Hi thea_,

If you feel like you would be able to concentrate better by sitting away from your friends, then I would definitely give it a try and ask your teacher if you can move :smile:

I can't give specific revision techniques as I don't know which subjects you are doing, but here are some general tips:

1) For each subject, get a copy of the specification, so that you can tick off each topic as you learn it.
2) Make revision notes as you are going along and update them regularly, in whatever format you like best, e.g. mind maps, flow charts, bullet points etc.
3) Have a go at past paper questions for each subject and compare your answers with the official mark schemes, so you can identify any weak areas and check that you understand the material properly.
4) Take regular breaks from revision so you don't get overwhelmed with information. Try not to make the breaks too long though so that you can keep your motivation going and stay in the right frame of mind to revise.
5) If you're able to stick to one, I'd recommend creating a revision timetable with the subjects and topics you need to revise. Allocate time to revise each topic and to have breaks, e.g. revise for 45 minutes with a 15 minute break, then repeat. Alternatively, if allocating revision to specific times is too stressful, you can simply allocate topics to different days, for example topics a and b to Tuesday, c, d and e to Wednesday etc, so that you can still keep your revision structured without worrying about having to stick to fixed times.
6) If there are any subject workshops and/or revision sessions available to you, then I would definitely recommend using them! If you don't understand a topic, it's important that you ask your teacher for help as soon as you can, rather than waiting until you come to revise. If you wait until you start revision, your teachers will likely be busy helping other students and may not have much time to help you.
7) If you miss any lessons, make sure that you find out what you missed so that you don't fall too far behind.

Best of luck :h:
Original post by thea_

Depends what subjects you do...
Reply 3
Original post by zetamcfc
Depends what subjects you do...

chemistry, economics, biology and health and social care
Reply 4
Original post by Leviathan1741

Hi thea_,

If you feel like you would be able to concentrate better by sitting away from your friends, then I would definitely give it a try and ask your teacher if you can move :smile:

I can't give specific revision techniques as I don't know which subjects you are doing, but here are some general tips:

1) For each subject, get a copy of the specification, so that you can tick off each topic as you learn it.
2) Make revision notes as you are going along and update them regularly, in whatever format you like best, e.g. mind maps, flow charts, bullet points etc.
3) Have a go at past paper questions for each subject and compare your answers with the official mark schemes, so you can identify any weak areas and check that you understand the material properly.
4) Take regular breaks from revision so you don't get overwhelmed with information. Try not to make the breaks too long though so that you can keep your motivation going and stay in the right frame of mind to revise.
5) If you're able to stick to one, I'd recommend creating a revision timetable with the subjects and topics you need to revise. Allocate time to revise each topic and to have breaks, e.g. revise for 45 minutes with a 15 minute break, then repeat. Alternatively, if allocating revision to specific times is too stressful, you can simply allocate topics to different days, for example topics a and b to Tuesday, c, d and e to Wednesday etc, so that you can still keep your revision structured without worrying about having to stick to fixed times.
6) If there are any subject workshops and/or revision sessions available to you, then I would definitely recommend using them! If you don't understand a topic, it's important that you ask your teacher for help as soon as you can, rather than waiting until you come to revise. If you wait until you start revision, your teachers will likely be busy helping other students and may not have much time to help you.
7) If you miss any lessons, make sure that you find out what you missed so that you don't fall too far behind.

Best of luck :h:

Thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest