The Student Room Logo

Pros and Cons of going to uni in London

Scroll to see replies

Hmm, I'm having second thoughts with this one, Pros: Whatever you feel like doing there is always a place to do it in london - sports museums clubbing parks etc, there are loads of celebs milling about, you always recognise places you see in tv shows films, you meet people from all over the country/world,
Vincente
Con: Its a nightmare trying to move around London especially during the morning! Its really expensive despite what universities in London tell you (although wages are very high as well for p/t jobs) and its the main target for terror attacks (I was in central London on that day as well, and cetainly dettred me going to London for a while)

Man, me too. I was looking at unis before senior year in high school, and was going on a tour of SOAS. Remember "We're not Afraid"? We said so but we were afraid really.
are there quite a lot of free events because money is my main concern and i have a feeling that whilst London is great, it's not so fun if you're broke
^ London can be fun when you're skint, I've gone to London with friends, had the time of my life & spent hardly anything. Depends what you're into I suppose, we love theatre so cheap theatre tickets are always great :biggrin:

I'm going to uni in London simply because I can't see myself going anywhere else... all of the unis I applied to were in/around London
Same here- I applied only to UoL unis last year.
You're going to university. Whichever university you go to (as long as it isn't mostly mature students or something like that) you get the studenty experience.
Russel Square, where UCL, SOAS and ULU are is a fantastic area with an especially studenty feel, everyone around you is in there 20s. I don't know much about KCL but I know that many of its campuses are around the river: the Southbank is one of the nicest areas of London.

Cons: In the end, it's not a student city. It's expensive. I like out transport, but it's expensive and you'll be using it a lot as London's such a big city. If big city life doesn't agree with you, you'll find little to get along with in London...

Pros: ... But if you're normal (:P) and enjoy the bustle of a big city with all of its multiculturalism: many people in London are foreign, the VAST majority speak english, and this mostly means that you'll meet a diverse group of people, and perhaps more importantly, get to sample a diverse range of foods :biggrin:.

One of the best nightlifes in the WORLD: and this certainly makes up for the lack of the 'university city' feel, whatever type of music you listen to, you'll have a good choice of bands/club nights to go to every single night of the week, and people who mention the lack of community in London obviously haven't been to enough pubs/gigs here.

The best shopping in the world :and bargains to be found if you know where to look).

Amazing architechture: which does make a big difference, its a fantastic feeling being in a city where you can see exciting new skyscrapers being built in the City, and have medieval churches, Victorian museums, Edwardian housing, dotted around everywhere. Importantly, most of the universities in the UoL are in lovely areas.

I can't recomend London enough really. If you like big cities, and are willing to pay for the oportunity, the experience of studying in one of the greatest cities in the world should not be missed.
Wooooo Dominic, totally agree.
Reply 27
I think the best part about studying in london is the vast number of foreigners (speaking as an Aussie/American :smile: ). First, foreign students at university will speak English otherwise they couldn't complete their course. Second, you can develop a group of friends who live everywhere. Third, it broadens your mind.

Lets not forget the restaurants, bars, jazz cellars, museums, galleries, english pubs and everything else. Its certainly great to be living in a cosy town. Transport and housing are the biggest (and perhaps only) real cons. These have to be balanced against the vast opportunities offered by a truly global city.

Its easier to meet people but I think if you live in a student residence and get involved in some societies, you will build a group of friends pretty fast. Dr Johnson said 'when you are tired of London, you are tired of life'.
Reply 28
The living cost is the main problem that London has. Of course, this may not be a problem if you still live at home. There is still travel to pay for but I believe UOL for examples offer Oyster cards with a 30% discount off regular prices. As for crime, there are certainly some areas where caution is advised. But, as long as you're aware of your surroundings, don't expose valuables that may target muggers and stick to populated areas, you'll be just fine.

On the plus side, you will never get bored. There really are so many things you can do here. A lot of museums are free. There are some lovely parts of the city and fantastic architecture. It truly has something for everyone. And I love it! :smile:
London is a truely world class city, and it's only going to get better with the number of building and regeneration projects going on. I've had a fantastic time at KCL and living in London this last 4 years.

It's not for everyone though, different people like different things and flourish better in different environments. A lot of my friends have found it easy to get internships at law firms and the like what with already having a base in London though.
dazmanultra
London is a truely world class city, and it's only going to get better with the number of building and regeneration projects going on. I've had a fantastic time at KCL and living in London this last 4 years.

It's not for everyone though, different people like different things and flourish better in different environments. A lot of my friends have found it easy to get internships at law firms and the like what with already having a base in London though.

How much debt have you acquired over the past 4 years?
unknownFluency
How much debt have you acquired over the past 4 years?

It's going to be close to £18k (4 x the minimum loan plus overdraft), and that was with my parents and grandparents contributing ~400 a month for my accommodation. I really would have struggled to live in London without their help, and if I didn't know they were going to help me I would have had to have chosen another location to go to university. :smile:
Reply 32
LONDON FTW!! =D id give anything to live in a city which has art museums that displays works by monet and dali...THATS world class :wink:

preferably nr 1 city in the world i want to be in vancouver CA lol..never gonna happen tho..after that PARIS...god i love paris lol anyway *end of rant*
Reply 33
I visited London last year, and I'd love to go back. I think living there for a couple of years would be great, and studying there would be ideal. Unfortunately, I'm a poor-ass Aussie, so it doesn't look too likely. :frown: But as someone who loves the hustle and bustle and excitement the city brings, London is definitely the type of city I'd love to live in, if only for a short period of time.
Reply 34
I have lived in London for about 3 years now.

Planning on going to UCL for 2008 entry too

London is a fantastic city and the amount of resources available to you is overwhelming. The amount of food choices, work choices etc

There are certain mistakes newcomers make when coming into London for the first time which is

a) Accommodation: Assuming that they have to live smack bang in Central London zone 1 to be close to everything and due to transport links. I live in the Muswell Hill area in Zone 3 which is an amazing place and very sought after. I am in Central London within 45 minutes on the bus. Central London for accommodation is an exhausting, overwhelming, noisy, aggressive **** hole

b) Culture/nightlife: The amount of deals available to students I feel is sufficient for the rip off city. A lot of museums are free, exhibitions are affordable. On a typical sunny Sunday, I go to Camden, walk down the Canal, go to Regents Park (something usually on there), either a green fair/ sport etc
There is also a huuuuge traveller community in London which brings the cost of most stuff down (you just have to know where to go)

c) Shopping: Cook your food, it tastes better anyway
Clothes: Markets and little off the path shops have a smorgasbord of stuff (I stopped shopping at boutiques last year when I realised that and tend not to look like everyone else now)

d) Beautiful people: There are loads of hot guys and girls. The real problem is differentiating the psychos from the sane ones

e) Night buses: I love London for this, you go out and spend till you only have a fiver left (certainly not enough for a taxi). Its 4 am in the morning. What do you do???? Get the night bus
iv heard that loads of clubs are free for girls if you get there before 11. is this true cos it sounds awesome
Reply 36
diamonds_glitter_trauma_tears
iv heard that loads of clubs are free for girls if you get there before 11. is this true cos it sounds awesome

v true :biggrin:
Reply 37
annoyingly true.... nothing like being with a group of girls who want to go to various clubs throughout the night and you really like the idea too but they don't get the idea that it's free for them but by the end of the night will have cost you £20 or something
Reply 38
Damn another bomb nearly went of......
Reply 39
altruist7
LONDON FTW!! =D id give anything to live in a city which has art museums that displays works by monet and dali...THATS world class :wink:

preferably nr 1 city in the world i want to be in vancouver CA lol..never gonna happen tho..after that PARIS...god i love paris lol anyway *end of rant*

im with you on that one =]........i absolutely LOVE vancouver...........and you may take happiness in the fact that you have depressed me quite a bit in making me even THINK about vancouver..........=]

Quick Reply

Latest