Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for MA Religious Studies at the University of Edinburgh, and Theology and Religion at the University of Birmingham. I've been to see Birmingham twice, and I really liked it, and I'm visiting Edinburgh on the 30th March. I really have no idea which one's better, could somebody share their opinions? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    As a theology graduate I'd say definitely Edinburgh. It has great academic heft, it's a great city and the New college is a very distinct and picturesque environment with more than a touch of Hogwart's about it. Also, as you should definitely do Greek then the four year course will help.

My only tip would be to be sure that you spend a lot of time in the (excellent at Edinburgh) Union and get to see students from other faculties. But then, as you should spend your first year in halls (and make sure you do wherever you go) that should happen anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stychomythia)
    As a theology graduate I'd say definitely Edinburgh. It has great academic heft, it's a great city and the New college is a very distinct and picturesque environment with more than a touch of Hogwart's about it. Also, as you should definitely do Greek then the four year course will help.

My only tip would be to be sure that you spend a lot of time in the (excellent at Edinburgh) Union and get to see students from other faculties. But then, as you should spend your first year in halls (and make sure you do wherever you go) that should happen anyway.
    I've looked on the website for Edinburgh, and it definitely looks Hogwarts-esque! I was a little unsure about whether I should take Greek or not, as I'm not the best at languages haha. I'm definitely going to stay in halls for the first year, wherever I go! I'll make sure to check out the student union when I go on a post-offer day on the 30th.

What is you're opinion on the city of Edinburgh? I've never been, and as I come from Manchester where the night life and shops are amazing, I don't really want to go somewhere which is any smaller. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hi There Hball98,

Well, Edinburgh may be smaller in terms of size - but culturally it's capital city and the difference really shows. In terms of being a city Edinburgh will everything you need you need (and more besides) as well as Manchester, if not more.

It's also, to my mind, the most beautiful City of its size second only to Paris or possibly also Vienna. It has a whole series of things that you don't get in anywhere but London (Royal Societies, Royal Colleges and national voluntary organisations) and it has the Edinburgh festival. The city may be smaller than Birmingham but it is considerably more international and the University is MUCH more international.

I would definitely start Greek. The reality is that you can't get into what the NT is saying without looking at the language and - as I say - you will have 4 years to do it at Edinburgh. As a theology graduate I find that some people who don't understand theology don't treat the subject seriously. When you tell them you had to do ancient Greek to qualify they HAVE to take it seriously and it really opens up the subject to you. If they offer you the chance to try Hebrew I would grab that as well. You may not like it, in which case you can give it up (usually) but adding that makes you seriously well-respected academically.

I found theology to be a truly excellent education.

There, I've laid my cards on the table. The choice is your but I would recommend Edinburgh of the two. I'm happy to answer any further questions you may have.

ReputationRep:
    Both are good but choose Birmingham,

I was stuck between , Birmingham and Edinburgh and chose Birmingham in the end!

Birmingham is slightly better on the league tables and has the best graduate employment in the uk so best job prospects. The campus is beautiful set in the leafy green suburbs with impressive old redbrick buildings and in my opinion is equally as pretty as Edinburgh. It also has a train station on campus so you can be in the thriving city center really easily giving a lovely balance between nature and the city.

Do consider whether you prefer city or campus as Edinburgh is city and Birmingham Campus. I prefer campus as I think you meet so many more students and it has a more welcoming and homely feel.

Both have incredible social lives with Birmingham being the second biggest city in the UK and home to many Museums, Cinemas, shops, Bars, Pubs and Clubs and Edinburgh being very cultural also having lots of pubs and the fringe festival in summer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katya11en)

Birmingham is slightly better on the league tables and has the best graduate employment in the uk so best job prospects. The campus is beautiful set in the leafy green suburbs with impressive old redbrick buildings and in my opinion is equally as pretty as Edinburgh. It also has a train station on campus so you can be in the thriving city center really easily giving a lovely balance between nature and the city.

Do consider whether you prefer city or campus as Edinburgh is city and Birmingham Campus. I prefer campus as I think you meet so many more students and it has a more welcoming and homely feel.

Both have incredible social lives with Birmingham being the second biggest city in the UK and home to many Museums, Cinemas, shops, Bars, Pubs and Clubs and Edinburgh being very cultural also having lots of pubs and the fringe festival in summer!
    Why do you ONLY write posts in praise of Birmingham? Do you work for them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HBall98)
    I've applied for MA Religious Studies at the University of Edinburgh, and Theology and Religion at the University of Birmingham. I've been to see Birmingham twice, and I really liked it, and I'm visiting Edinburgh on the 30th March. I really have no idea which one's better, could somebody share their opinions? Thanks.

I'm trying to make the same decision at the moment.between Birmingham or Edinburgh but for History . I've visited Birmingham and really like it and haven't visited Ed yet. I think I prefer the Birmingham history course and how the uni is only a couple of hours from home. But my friend has started at Edinburgh and loves it so much, I'm really unsure between them. I have an unconditional from Birmingham so that makes it alot safer an option but I dont want this to sway me too much ... Let me know which one you pick?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stychomythia)
    Hi There Hball98,

Well, Edinburgh may be smaller in terms of size - but culturally it's capital city and the difference really shows. In terms of being a city Edinburgh will everything you need you need (and more besides) as well as Manchester, if not more.

It's also, to my mind, the most beautiful City of its size second only to Paris or possibly also Vienna. It has a whole series of things that you don't get in anywhere but London (Royal Societies, Royal Colleges and national voluntary organisations) and it has the Edinburgh festival. The city may be smaller than Birmingham but it is considerably more international and the University is MUCH more international.

I would definitely start Greek. The reality is that you can't get into what the NT is saying without looking at the language and - as I say - you will have 4 years to do it at Edinburgh. As a theology graduate I find that some people who don't understand theology don't treat the subject seriously. When you tell them you had to do ancient Greek to qualify they HAVE to take it seriously and it really opens up the subject to you. If they offer you the chance to try Hebrew I would grab that as well. You may not like it, in which case you can give it up (usually) but adding that makes you seriously well-respected academically.

I found theology to be a truly excellent education.

There, I've laid my cards on the table. The choice is your but I would recommend Edinburgh of the two. I'm happy to answer any further questions you may have.
    Thank you for your advice! I was a little concerned about job prospects after university, and I'll definitely take Greek/Hebrew if employers will take me a little bit more seriously! I'm definitely going to give Edinburgh some serious consideration, I went to an information evening a few days ago, and I was very impressed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katya11en)

I've been to the Birmingham open and post offer days, and I was very impressed with the campus, it was lovely! I'm planning on going to the city soon, so I can see what the culture is like (despite everyone telling me it is a little bit rough there?). I'm still pretty torn, to be honest, I think I'll only be able to make up my mind once I've actually gone to Edinburgh itself... Thanks for your input though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sa13)
    I'm trying to make the same decision at the moment.between Birmingham or Edinburgh but for History . I've visited Birmingham and really like it and haven't visited Ed yet. I think I prefer the Birmingham history course and how the uni is only a couple of hours from home. But my friend has started at Edinburgh and loves it so much, I'm really unsure between them. I have an unconditional from Birmingham so that makes it alot safer an option but I dont want this to sway me too much ... Let me know which one you pick?
    Let me know how it goes at the open day! I'm going on the 29th and 30th. I know what you mean about the courses, I prefer the Birmingham course, and it's not as far from home as Edinburgh, but Edinburgh is so much more academically respected! You're so lucky for getting an unconditional, I've been offered ABB for both, so it's not even like I can put one as my insurance! I'll tell you as soon as I've made my decision!

ReputationRep:
    Just to add that it has been commented that Birmingham is doing better than Edinburgh in the league tables. I would have a look at all the league tables (including the international ones) and draw your own conclusion, HBall.

ReputationRep:
    Let me know how it goes at the open day! I'm going on the 29th and 30th. I know what you mean about the courses, I prefer the Birmingham course, and it's not as far from home as Edinburgh, but Edinburgh is so much more academically respected! You're so lucky for getting an unconditional, I've been offered ABB for both, so it's not even like I can put one as my insurance! I'll tell you as soon as I've made my decision!
    Heya, I went up and looked round Edinburgh Uni a few weeks ago. After visiting Edinburgh and Birmingham I've decided to firm Birmingham as I way prefer Birmingham uni. What did you think when you visited Edinburgh?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 31, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.