The Student Room Group

Atheist Q and A

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheOpinion
If your argument here is to imply that those who debate or discuss Atheism are immature, then Richard Dawkins and the like must be rather nonsensical in their views. :facepalm:

rem acu tetigisti

:beard:
Original post by chemting
But the probability of there being a god? very low... and the probability of it being your favourite god? even lower (almost non-existent)

It makes sense for sure.
Original post by like_marmite
Did you read the spoiler or did you not?

I did,wasn't meant to be read as a 'so there!!" Was just some context to avoid being accused by someone else of being clueless.
Original post by Lawbringer
How are you so sure there is no god? Surely being agnostic is the best approach to this situation?

We can't really be 100% sure that there is no god, however we can still lack belief in one, hence agnostic atheism (not believing in god but not claiming to know that god doesn't exist) :smile:
Original post by leavingthecity
I did,wasn't meant to be read as a 'so there!!" Was just some context to avoid being accused by someone else of being clueless.

As I said in the spoiler, I wasn't talking about you personally. Then again an A* at A-Level doesn't really make you equivalent to John Lennox.
As I said in the spoiler, I wasn't talking about you personally. Then again an A* at A-Level doesn't really make you equivalent to John Lennox.

....for the third time, I am agreeing with you...
Original post by the bear
rem acu tetigisti

:beard:

What don't you like about our mate Dawkers, bear?
What don't you like about our mate Dawkers, bear?

i guess he is like marmite ?

:holmes:
Original post by the bear
i guess he is like marmite ?

:holmes:

Well played, my learned friend.
But the probability of there being a god? very low... and the probability of it being your favourite god? even lower (almost non-existent)

I don't think you can find the first probability. The second can be found to be 0.
Original post by morgan8002
I don't think you can find the first probability. The second can be found to be 0.

That's very true
If your never saw your parents, would you say that they don't exist?
Original post by TheALevelStudent

that's because you KNOW that children pop out of vaginas, so you can make that connection... you don't know that people pop out of god(s).
Original post by Leviathan1741
We can't really be 100% sure that there is no god, however we can still lack belief in one, hence agnostic atheism (not believing in god but not claiming to know that god doesn't exist) :smile:

We can try and use Bayesian inference to put a probability on his existence, but there's a problem with the axioms we'd have to include, because too many would be from people's personal experiences, or things that are completely unverifiable. Scientific fact comes from repetition of experiments, and the creation of new experiments to verify fact in different ways. This repeated revelation of information that contradicts the existence of the God of the Abrahamic religions leads to the logical conclusion that the probability that there is a God is ever decreasing.
that's because you KNOW that children pop out of vaginas, so you can make that connection... you don't know that people pop out of god(s).

😂😂😂
Where did everything come from then? How was the world created?

That is really quite different and not very sophisticated as an argument....
Original post by leavingthecity
That is really quite different and not very sophisticated as an argument....

Is it though? The creation needs a creator, so the only logical explanation is for some superficial power to have created the universe
Is it though? The creation needs a creator, so the only logical explanation is for some superficial power to have created the universe

No, there may be a cause and effect argument, which is different, and certainly does not imply the cause as God. Now we are getting into the non verifiable, metaphysical, not worth spending to much time over.
Reply 58
Am sure that the will be the Judgement Day then.
😂😂😂
Where did everything come from then? How was the world created?

You mean the universe? Before the Big Bang? There are some hypothesis ... which are more rational and helpful than "God did it". Why does anything need to be "created"... what do you even mean by "created"?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending