Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dima-Blackburn)
    Cosmology is one of those topics that does not fall solely in the domain of science. Philosophy, in particular philosophy of physics, philosophy of space & time, and metaphysics use the findings in physical cosmology and vice versa to refine their respective hypotheses and work towards answering some of the big questions about the universe.
    I've actually heard a few of the top cosmologists who are working on theories of the universe's origin describe it as a mix of metaphysics and physics.

It's been a long time, but if memory serves Alexander Vilenkin actually uses metaphysical ideas of time with his quantum tunnelling idea.

TSR no longer has the quality of debates it used to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    But their findings are pure speculation and not scientific. metaphysics is pure philosophy. Isaac Asimov wrote many books that used the findings of physical cosmology and refined them. We call them science fiction.
    Read the link in my edit. You're comparing hard-science fiction to rigorous conceptual analyses consistent with scientific data :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garfeeled)
    I would disagree given that, as I have said, science was built upon philosophy.

The second link provided by the assassin quite neatly deals with this, two noble prize winners (in fields that are scientific) saying that they are indebted to Karl popper, who was probably the most influential philosopher of science of the last century.
    I like this quote on some basic tenants in logic and their assumption in science:

"Let’s begin with an observation, which should be uncontroversial: Science is rooted in logic. If you can’t do syllogisms, you can’t do equations. You’re not getting through the front door of the lab unless you realize that if x = z, and y = x, then y = z. Or, as philosophers like to say, if all men are mortal, and Socrates is a man, then Socrates is mortal.

The first three laws of thought—identity, non-contradiction and excluded middle—are even more basic than syllogisms. You can’t deny their validity without assuming their validity. If I say, “The laws are universal” and you say, “The laws are not universal,” is it possible that we’re both correct? (No, and that’s the law of non-contradiction.) Is it possible that we’re both incorrect? (No, and that’s the law of excluded middle.) Is it possible that we’re both saying the same thing? (No, and that’s the law of identity.)"

TSR no longer has the quality of debates it used to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheOpinion)
    This is for those of faith who want to ask atheists on TSR anything about Atheism, why they don't believe etc. You can ask anything you want, just be polite
    POLITE debate is encouraged.

Thanks
    are you as bored of arguing about big bang theory as i am? why dont we both just stop shouting at each other for a while.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by YesAllMen)
    Puddles the Monkey thoughts?
    sorry...thoughts about what?

ReputationRep:
    Looks like I get post number 666

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frankieboy)
    Oh rly?

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear

ReputationRep:
    Aw *******s. Puddles The Monkey's post said 665 earlier.

I want to make an official complaint.

Edit - you're seriously censoring the word "Bolokks"?

ReputationRep:
    Aw *******s. Puddles The Monkey's post said 665 earlier.

I want to make an official complaint.

Edit - you're seriously censoring the word "Bolokks"?
    You did make post 666. I thought I'd be evil and delete an earlier post of mine so your post moved to 665

There is an actual way around the swear filter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Epicurean)
    You did make post 666. I thought I'd be evil and delete an earlier post of mine so your post moved to 665

Post 666 mate, you were saying?

inb4 this thread becomes a delete fest

Edit: Got proof too before anyone tries any dodgy tactics.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemting)
    Post 666 mate, you were saying?

inb4 this thread becomes a delete fest

Edit: Got proof to before anyone tries any tactics.
    Must...not...report....post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmNero)
    Must...not...report....post
    Delete/Report fest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemting)
    Delete/Report fest
    Don't. You. DARE.

I have a clean slate, I plan to keep it that way. MWAHAHAHAHHAHHA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Epicurean)

You sir, are a bally cad, and a bounder!

Careful with the swear filter though. You know it brings the jobsworths out...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.