Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I will be starting an Economics AS course next year

I have ABSOLUTELY NO previous experience or knowledge of Economics

Please can somebody recommend some reading material, not too extensive, to give me a very basic grounding in the subject

Economics is only offered from AS onwards at my school, so everyone will be taught from scratch, but I would like to have some basic knowledge

Thanx in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by klugy)

Please can somebody recommend some reading material, not too extensive, to give me a very basic grounding in the subject

Economics is only offered from AS onwards at my school, so everyone will be taught from scratch, but I would like to have some basic knowledge

Thanx in advance!
    There's a Magazine called ET (Economics Today), its quite good...around £4.
    But if u got more cash, i'd recomend ECONOMICS by ALAIN ANDERTON. It a good book, it goes into detail so it'll be useful for next yr (around 750 pages)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by klugy)

Thanx in advance!
    It depends what you want to do after you leave school, but economics is a good subject. its logical and some common sense is involved AS in particular quite easy, more complicated at A2 though, but if you do maths in addition you should have no problems.

ReputationRep:
    You know I don't really think it's worth it on your behalf. Teaching these days is about passing exams, you'll be taught to get good grades in the exams. Go read about something which you're not doing an AS in.

ReputationRep:
    yeah well, say if you do maths then you taught some methods, formulas and principles and those are the methods and formulas that you use in the exam so you get an understanding of new theories as well as you how to pass yuor exam same goes for economics once you understand the conepts you need to know you then say for example watch news and it make mores snese to you than it did before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by klugy)

Thanx in advance!
    I did Economics AS-Level this year (I'm in year 13, so it was just for fun!).

I read a couple of things over the summer to prepare me for studying Eco, but in all honesty they made no difference whatsoever. If, however, you are serious about trying to get a head-start, then I recommend taking out a subscription of the Economist (which works out at about £1.60/week...it's also fantastic if you study politics/business/accountancy). I also read "There's no such thing as a free lunch" by David Smith which explains the fundamental principles of the subject, but is readable to the layman. I've also read Capitalism and Freedom by Milton Friedmann which is an absolutely brilliant description of how the price mechanism works.

I've since bought Wealth of Nations but have not read it yet...

Best of luck,

Tom

ReputationRep:
    Thanx for all your replies!

All i'm looking for is a very basic introduction.

Does that "free lunch" book cover typical AS/A2 topics? It sounds quite interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Free Lunch is a great book, does cover topics that you will study but is an all round good grounding into economics in a very practical sense. It gets you thinking in an economic way

ReputationRep:
    Sounds excellent!

Is this the best "economics for beginners" book, in your opinion?

ReputationRep:
    I think economics is a wicked subject...its one of my favourites, ive just done it for AS. but it does depend on the teacher u have...one of mine is a complete w***** and no1 understands a word he says...but the other one is really good and i understand everything in his section. I recommend the Ecnomics Today mag

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.