Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am planning to apply to Universities in US for fall 2017. Do they accept 3 Gce A levels?

ReputationRep:
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magr27)
    I am planning to apply to Universities in US for fall 2017. Do they accept 3 Gce A levels?
    I'm doing the reverse but A levels are recognised in the States. In fact in many situations they will get you credits at the university and thus you can skip certain classes.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. Do they have any requirements for the number of subjects? Like what are minimum number of A levels one should take? Because currently I have four but I plan to take one of the subjects only as AS levels. Leaving me with 3 A levels and 1 As level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magr27)
    Be careful of what universities you apply to because not all of them aceept a levels in place of the American requirements. I'd suggest you go to their website to see their polices about it whether it's only for exemptions or sufficient to get into the university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ServantOfMorgoth)
    Be careful of what universities you apply to because not all of them aceept a levels in place of the American requirements. I'd suggest you go to their website to see their polices about it whether it's only for exemptions or sufficient to get into the university.
    That might be true for some junior or community colleges where they have never heard of them but probably all four year colleges (universities) are familiar with the UK system and accept A levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishyfishy1999)
    That might be true for some junior or community colleges where they have never heard of them but probably all four year colleges (universities) are familiar with the UK system and accept A levels.
    No, they're not. You're making assumptions especially seeing that you're saying "probably". I have looked into it a few years ago when I was applying to unis and all do not recognise A levels as entry requirements eg MIT and there are many others.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No, they're not. You're making assumptions especially seeing that you're saying "probably". I have looked into it a few years ago when I was applying to unis and all do not recognise A levels as entry requirements eg MIT and there are many others.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes they are!!!!!!!!

I am a dual citizen - my father is a physics professor in the US, at guess where???? Yes - MIT. Do you read that - MIT !!!!!!!!!

And from their website:

"MIT recognizes and gives credit for high scores on certain A-Level examinations as administered in various countries, based on appropriate documentation."

And

"
    • Mathematics: For a grade of A*, A, or B in A-Level Mathematics, credit will be given for 12 units of subject 18.01, Calculus I. For grades lower than B, or grades in Further Mathematics, no credit is given.

If you are given 18.01 credit and then take 18.01A (a variation of 18.01) for review purposes, your 12 units of 18.01 credit will convert to 3 units of unrestricted elective credit. In addition, you will receive 12 units of credit for a passing grade in 18.01A.

If you take 18.014 (calculus with theory), your 18.01 credit will convert to 9 units of unrestricted elective credit. In addition, you will receive 12 units of credit for a passing grade in 18.014."
    That is discussing the credit you get for A level grades in maths.

ReputationRep:
    Yes they are!!!!!!!!

I am a dual citizen - my father is a physics professor in the US, at guess where???? Yes - MIT. Do you read that - MIT !!!!!!!!!

And from their website:

"MIT recognizes and gives credit for high scores on certain A-Level examinations as administered in various countries, based on appropriate documentation."
    Yes, they recognise it, but not for a means to get in and am I to believe that someone on the internet father just happens to be a professor at the one school I called out? Yeah, I don't think so...
    As I said it wouldn't hurt to make sure they accept the a levels as equivalent entry requirements per university. I don't see why you're making a big fuss.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's it, perform the old internet trick of not believing someone just because they have the info and you don't.

I was raised around that campus and I have met quite a few UK students. And guess what, they had A levels and that's how they got in plus admissions testing.

Now maybe your grades weren't up to snuff, or mickey mouse A levels but MIT have for years and years recognised them.

Now when you actually have information of worth comment, until then don't.
    What info? There's no proof that your father is an MIT professor. I can easily say that I went to MIT and then transfered to Cambridge...but you wouldn't believe me because I have no proof. Now you see my dilemma. Quit acting like a child and resorting to petty insults like mickey mouse a levels and rubbish grades.
    My a levels are traditional and my grades are in only the highest grades...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What info? There's no proof that your father is an MIT professor. I can easily say that I went to MIT and then transfered to Cambridge...but you wouldn't believe me because I have no proof. Now you see my dilemma. Quit acting like a child and resorting to petty insults like mickey mouse a levels and rubbish grades.
    My a levels are traditional and my grades are in only the highest grades...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We do have the fact you are unfamiliar with the US system and MIT in particular. I am intimately familiar with it because of growing up around it. The fact is you'll be hard pressed to find a US university that does not know what A levels are and does not accept them for entrance. In fact I'd say zero of them (4 year schools - junior colleges maybe different). Now schools are going to take international students on a case by case basis and may do admissions testing but they recognise and accept A levels. Heck, before you commented on my earlier post look at what I edited it with - that is the course credits A levels in maths gets you at MIT.

(And I would NOT believe you went to MIT and transferred to Cambridge because you already posted you couldn't get in). And it is you being immature because of talking rubbish as fact. What puzzles me is that even fifteen years ago A levels were recognised by MIT and yet they gave you the brush off, I think that speaks to your academics more than much else.

ReputationRep:
    We do have the fact you are unfamiliar with the US system and MIT in particular. I am intimately familiar with it because of growing up around it. The fact is you'll be hard pressed to find a US university that does not know what A levels are and does not accept them for entrance. In fact I'd say zero of them (4 year schools - junior colleges maybe different). Now schools are going to take international students on a case by case basis and may do admissions testing but they recognise and accept A levels. Heck, before you commented on my earlier post look at what I edited it with - that is the course credits A levels in maths gets you at MIT.

(And I would NOT believe you went to MIT and transferred to Cambridge because you already posted you couldn't get in). And it is you being immature because of talking rubbish as fact. What puzzles me is that even fifteen years ago A levels were recognised by MIT and yet they gave you the brush off, I think that speaks to your academics more than much else.
    I never applied to MIT, don't know where you got that from...I said that I was looking around at the time, I didn't apply to any of the US universities actually but I researched them extensively and I presented my findings to the OP.
    You on the other hand just make claims and say "I'm American and my daddy works at MIT so I know everything about all US universities"
    You're being quite belligerent but I'm not sure why.

ReputationRep:
    You're being quite belligerent but I'm not sure why.
    Because you started it with the "I don't believe you" nonsense just because, and for no other reason, than I said your comment was rubbish. Which it is.

You should not comment on things you are clueless about. I don't go on the boards for Sociology A level because I know nothing about it. But I do go on boards for mathematics because that is something I know a lot about, as is the US education system.

ReputationRep:
    Because you started it with the "I don't believe you" nonsense just because, and for no other reason, than I said your comment was rubbish. Which it is.

You should not comment on things you are clueless about. I don't go on the boards for Sociology A level because I know nothing about it. But I do go on boards for mathematics because that is something I know a lot about, as is the US education system.
    It's true though, I have no reason to believe you. Where's the proof? Anyone can say anything on the internet and of you're upset because I don't believe you, you have much growing up to do.

I don't know which part of this you don't understand but I said that I research US universities extensively, I have enough of a right just like you to comment on the situation. I didn't say that ALL US unis don't accept A levels as entry requirements, I said there are those that do not and I said it would be wise to find out if they accept it just in case before you apply. Taking precaution is always the best policy.

This will be my last response to you, I have no time for child-like responses.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, they recognise it, but not for a means to get in and am I to believe that someone on the internet father just happens to be a professor at the one school I called out? Yeah, I don't think so...
    As I said it wouldn't hurt to make sure they accept the a levels as equivalent entry requirements per university. I don't see why you're making a big fuss.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    MIT does accept them as a means to get in...

Please do not spread false information

ReputationRep:
    It's true though, I have no reason to believe you. Where's the proof? Anyone can say anything on the internet and of you're upset because I don't believe you, you have much growing up to do.

I don't know which part of this you don't understand but I said that I research US universities extensively, I have enough of a right just like you to comment on the situation. I didn't say that ALL US unis don't accept A levels as entry requirements, I said there are those that do not and I said it would be wise to find out if they accept it just in case before you apply. Taking precaution is always the best policy.

This will be my last response to you, I have no time for child-like responses.
    Run along now, tail between the legs. You researched nothing or were incompetent in doing so. Try going on the US uni websites and A level board documentation. Every one I have checked in the last 30 minutes mentions A levels and their acceptance.

Cornell
    OSU
    Penn State
    Princeton
    UC system
    UT
    Duke
    U of Florida

8 for the first 8 I checked. I bet it'd be 100 for the 1st 100 if I could be bothered.

Of course it is best to check directly, but that is automatic with application anyway. Not exactly an earth shattering statement that you made is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    MIT does accept them as a means to get in...

Please do not spread false information
    No, you can only get credits from the grades obtained you'll still need to do other things like take standardised tests. I honestly don't know how you lot go around the place like know it all and you clearly don't have the entire picture.

ReputationRep:
    No, you can only get credits from the grades obtained you'll still need to do other things like take standardised tests. I honestly don't know how you lot go around the place like know it all and you clearly don't have the entire picture.
    No sh** there are standardized tests... There are several requirements

But that doesn't mean you can apply normally without a Highschool diploma or equivalent (A levels in our case)

I applied to MIT this year. I would know..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    No sh** there are standardized tests... There are several requirements

But that doesn't mean you can apply normally without a Highschool diploma or equivalent (A levels in our case)

I applied to MIT this year. I would know..
    As I've been saying all along, its not a means to get it. You need to take into consideration the other requirements but no, none of you told the OP that, instead you give vague unhelpful answers like "yes" and argue with me when I say otherwise.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Ok guys let's stop arguing over a misunderstanding of what someone was saying.

Yes you can get in with A levels, no you cannot get in by applying with just A levels, you need to take the SATs as well (or the ACT). A levels are more seen as equivalent to APs plus a high school diploma, they help your application and it'll give you extra credit but they're not the essential admissions criteria.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 7, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.