Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Engineering student here although I figured this post is more suited to an economics thread!

I understand this is a very vague question, however I am desperately trying to calculate a rough estimate of how much cheaper a product will be if I buy 100,000 or 1,000,000 units rather than one?

So for example, if a part I am trying to manufacture is $50, how much cheaper could I expect this part to be if I ordered 10, 1000, 100,000 or 1,000,000 units?

Thanks very much! All help is appreciated!

James

ReputationRep:
    James
    In economics we assume that cost per unit will fall as output increases. This is called falling average costs and is caused by economies of scale. So the bigger the output the lower the cost per unit. However, we cannot say how much cheaper it will cost to produce as it depends on the fixed costs and the extent to which they can be spread over more output and the discount that can be gained by purchasing the raw materials in bulk to make the product.
    Dr Mark Potts

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.