The Student Room Group

Catcher in the Rye Quotes and Points

Here are some quotes and points which may prove useful and feel free to add your own; remember, you do not need to reference the quote and you are not expected to quote it at length and the better scenario is to interweave short quotations into your writing.

1) When leaving Pencey, Holden shouts out, "Sleep tight, ya morons!" - from this we can assume Holden is saying goodbye in his own unique way, since he was searching for some kind of "good-by" atop Thomsen Hill; similarly, it is also Holden's way of telling the world to wake up, as if he was mocking them since they are "morons" for "sleep[ing] tight" in their world which Holden sees as phony.

2) Holden has a fear of change, for example, when he was playing with the snow and "packing" a snow ball, he did not want to throw it at either a car or fire hydrant lest he disturbed the settled snow since "the car looked so nice and white"; thus Holden cannot bring himself to change the snow-covered street by throwing the snowball. We also see Holden's love for a lack of change through his adoration for museums, since a museum holds artifacts and remembers and preserves times gone by i.e. before the change.

Feel free to add some new ones to pool ideas.
Reply 1
In my essay im writing about the suiciding themes-parts in this books, I heard that this book caused suicides around the world, do you know anything about this??

Latest