The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Exeter Medical Sciences Offer Holders

Hey all!

I've got an offer for Medical Sciences at Exeter and I am thinking of firming it. Any other offer holders?
I'd love to chat, exchange info etc prior to the course beginning.

Best,
Stanimir

Scroll to see replies

Hi,

I've received an offer today for medical science!
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Hi! I received an offer two weeks ago and I'm definitely firming it
Reply 3
I'm an offer holder too!! Medical science + the professional year :smile: going to the last visit day next friday, will have to make a decision on my firm before may :afraid:
Reply 4
Hi!

I received an offer a couple of weeks back, stuck between firming this and biomedical at Surrey at the moment.
Congrats to you all for your offers! Good luck getting the grades at A-level (or congrats again is you already have them).

Im just in the process of finishing my Medical Science course at Exeter (last exam is literally next Saturday), so let me know if you have any questions about the course, I'm happy to answer anything.
Reply 6
Original post by QuentinM
Congrats to you all for your offers! Good luck getting the grades at A-level (or congrats again is you already have them).

Im just in the process of finishing my Medical Science course at Exeter (last exam is literally next Saturday), so let me know if you have any questions about the course, I'm happy to answer anything.

Thanks! I'm sure you probably get this question a lot, but would you consider admissions into the course lenient...? :x Say if i dropped a grade a two come this summer, would i still have a chance at being accepted? i'm very doubtful i'll meet my offer conditions :cry:
Original post by Arima
Thanks! I'm sure you probably get this question a lot, but would you consider admissions into the course lenient...? :x Say if i dropped a grade a two come this summer, would i still have a chance at being accepted? i'm very doubtful i'll meet my offer conditions :cry:

Sorry, im afraid i cant help you here. I got offered a place on this course after failing to get onto another one, and i had all the grades anyway. I'm not sure how over/undersubscribed this course is, so i would check by asking the medical school admissions team, though i imagine if one grade was a big lower it shouldnt be a problem
Reply 8
Sorry, im afraid i cant help you here. I got offered a place on this course after failing to get onto another one, and i had all the grades anyway. I'm not sure how over/undersubscribed this course is, so i would check by asking the medical school admissions team, though i imagine if one grade was a big lower it shouldnt be a problem

Thanks for the reply :h: I'll give them a ring, but thanks for sharing your experience!

Hi! I have a couple of questions and I'd be very happy if you could answer them:

1. Approximately, how many hours of classes do you have per week?

2. Do you have a part-time job/do you know anyone who has a part-time job? If yes, how easy was it to find?

Thank you for your time and good luck for your exams!
Original post by cristianasofia
Hi! I have a couple of questions and I'd be very happy if you could answer them:

1. Approximately, how many hours of classes do you have per week?

2. Do you have a part-time job/do you know anyone who has a part-time job? If yes, how easy was it to find?

Thank you for your time and good luck for your exams!

Sure:

1) Depends on the year, as you can imagine. In first year generally you get around two lectures a week for each module, and you get around 4 modules a term, making 8 hours. You also get supplementary seminars and tutorials, and for one of those modules has 2 two hour seminars instead. So first year is around 12-15 hours a week. If that doesnt seem like a lot, you are expected to spend the rest of the day studying the stuff you just did, and for one of the modules, the seminars at the start and end of the week are assigning work you have to independently study.

Year two is quite similar, in the range of 12-15 hours a week. Final year goes way down, to maybe 4-6 hours a week, but this is just the timetabled stuff-i spend the rest of the day working on my final year research project, probably at least 15-20 hours a week just on the project. Obviously the more time you are willing to put in, the better opportunities you give yourself to succeed.

2) I have a weird part time job-there are several tutoring websites online, and I applied for one in my second year. I have to compete for work, but it pays around £10-£11 for each hour long lesson, I can do it whenever I'm free, and from the comforts of home.

But for other part time jobs, they run fairs and advertise quite a few on the university careers website. A lot of them are part time gigs at restaurants, cafes, bars and what-not, so having some experience in that might help, but probably wont be necessary.

Hope this helps!
Sure:

1) Depends on the year, as you can imagine. In first year generally you get around two lectures a week for each module, and you get around 4 modules a term, making 8 hours. You also get supplementary seminars and tutorials, and for one of those modules has 2 two hour seminars instead. So first year is around 12-15 hours a week. If that doesnt seem like a lot, you are expected to spend the rest of the day studying the stuff you just did, and for one of the modules, the seminars at the start and end of the week are assigning work you have to independently study.

Year two is quite similar, in the range of 12-15 hours a week. Final year goes way down, to maybe 4-6 hours a week, but this is just the timetabled stuff-i spend the rest of the day working on my final year research project, probably at least 15-20 hours a week just on the project. Obviously the more time you are willing to put in, the better opportunities you give yourself to succeed.

2) I have a weird part time job-there are several tutoring websites online, and I applied for one in my second year. I have to compete for work, but it pays around £10-£11 for each hour long lesson, I can do it whenever I'm free, and from the comforts of home.

But for other part time jobs, they run fairs and advertise quite a few on the university careers website. A lot of them are part time gigs at restaurants, cafes, bars and what-not, so having some experience in that might help, but probably wont be necessary.

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much for your answer! I would also like to know if if it's possible to change pathways during the first year?
Original post by cristianasofia
Thank you so much for your answer! I would also like to know if if it's possible to change pathways during the first year?

Yeah im fairly certain you officially decide in March of first year, when you pick your modules, so you would probably have to contact the admin team and ask about a change by then.
Hello guys,

3rd year Medical Scientist here, about to complete the degree. Feel free to ask any questions you have about the course, will answer totally honestly.
Original post by Paperclip53
Hello guys,

3rd year Medical Scientist here, about to complete the degree. Feel free to ask any questions you have about the course, will answer totally honestly.

What do you plan on doing after you've graduated? What are other people on this course doing after they've graduated? :holmes:
Yeah im fairly certain you officially decide in March of first year, when you pick your modules, so you would probably have to contact the admin team and ask about a change by then.

Thank you so much!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
What do you plan on doing after you've graduated? What are other people on this course doing after they've graduated? :holmes:

Some go on to graduate medicine, those who want to do lab based research usually become research technicians for a bit or do a masters degree (like me). Masters degrees in plenty of other things like public health are also options. Those are probably your main bets science wise, but plenty of other opportunities out there not limited to science (e.g. financial stuff)
Reply 17
Hey y'all quick question to you guys currently doing medical sciences! Do you know anyone who actually switched across from first year to the BMBS programme (sorry to be that guy, I really am)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jamof
Hey y'all quick question to you guys currently doing medical sciences! Do you know anyone who actually switched across from first year to the BMBS programme (sorry to be that guy, I really am)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, it happens.
Reply 19
Yeah, it happens.

What did they have to do to achieve that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending