Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hello. Im a 5th year medical student who has just gotten their score back like everyone else and its really not good at all. My EPM is good but I've been let down by the SJT. Now my overall score is quite low ( 68). I put East of England as my number one choice but now I am not even sure if I would get it. I don't know what to do. I've been searching on the internet for the lowest score someone has gotten and still got a place for the foundation year. I really dont know what to do. What do you think will happen in my situation? Do you think I will get anywhere? I never imagined this happening to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hello. Im a 5th year medical student who has just gotten their score back like everyone else and its really not good at all. My EPM is good but I've been let down by the SJT. Now my overall score is quite low ( 68). I put East of England as my number one choice but now I am not even sure if I would get it. I don't know what to do. I've been searching on the internet for the lowest score someone has gotten and still got a place for the foundation year. I really dont know what to do. What do you think will happen in my situation? Do you think I will get anywhere? I never imagined this happening to me.
    Sorry to hear that you didn't do as well as you wanted

What were your other top choices? Bera in mind that you don't know what the cut off scores will be for any of the deaneries yet, and even if you end up somewhere you're not really keen on you'll only have to spend 2 years there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Jenni my worry is that will I even get a place? Thanks for your response though.

I am in the same boat.
    My decile was fine and I have a degree, but the SJT has totally f*cked me over and I am now in a worse position than people in like decile 10. My score was 70.

I hate this company for the worry they are causing. Why release the scores without context? I am trying to sit finals feeling like a failure. I'd complain formally but I feel like they literally do not care

Crisis Aborted!! I've got a job!!! One of my top 5. Im happy now. Ignore the thread.

ReputationRep:
    The allocations are actually out now if you re-check. I hope you get the UoA that you want, but don't forget the reserve list isn't as bad as it might seem. Many of the jobs that come available are due to people failing or non-UK grads choosing not to take up their offers and some surprisingly good jobs become available as a result. East Anglia is one of the bigger places so there is a fair chance you may still get it even if you are on the reserve list. The uncertainty is the worst part of this whole thing though!

Also for those worried they might not get a job at all that almost certainly won't happen. It has never happened that a UK graduate hasn't had a job offer by the end of the process, in fact jobs have been known to mysteriously appear at the last minute to avoid just that. Given all the trouble with regards to the junior contract and a certain referendum I imagine the government will do everything in it's power to ensure every UK grad gets a job because I would not want to be in their place if that didn't happen.

ReputationRep:
    You will get a job. It might not be exactly where/what you want but it will help you reach the end of the foundation programme. You can then apply to move wherever you want for core or specialty training. The SJT assigns completely random/arbitrary scores and is no reflection on how you will perform in future selection processes.

I know two people who were sent to godforsaken places for FY1/FY2, neither of whom actually regretted those placements once they got started.

It might feel like a disaster now but it almost certainly won't in the long run. Good luck, keep focussed on finals, and let us all know how you get on.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.