The Student Room Group

Lancaster University Vs University of York

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you could help me out with some information about Lancaster University and the University of York.

I need to accept either offers and I really don´t know which one to choose since every website says something different I got so lost. I applied for Master´s in International Business. I know York has a beautiful campus, I have heard it´s employability ratio is high, and that the nightlife is great. All which I am looking for, but does it have a good business school?
Reply 1
I don't know about the business school but York does have a good reputation that will help with future careers.
Reply 2
Thank you for your answer, Hopefully it has a good business school so I can really choose it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by riadfk
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you could help me out with some information about Lancaster University and the University of York.

I need to accept either offers and I really don´t know which one to choose since every website says something different I got so lost. I applied for Master´s in International Business. I know York has a beautiful campus, I have heard it´s employability ratio is high, and that the nightlife is great. All which I am looking for, but does it have a good business school?
You might find
http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/rankings interesting/helpful. Lancaster's business school is well regarded; don't know about York.
Reply 4
I don't think looking at rankings mean anything to be honest think you're better actually speaking to people that have taken the course

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Thank you for the information Minerva, trust me when I tell you that I have seen more than hundreds of websites just to know which one wins. I really am clueless now for each website says something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Cpaige I agree with you, rankings are not everything. But at the same time maybe firms look for that. I mean York is number 19 in QS for UK, number 103 worldwide. It has to mean something don't you think?

I believe the worst page is the league tables for they say that coventry is way better than others. I have an offer from Coventry, Hull, Lincoln, Brunel, and Hult but I believe none are worth it so I chose between York and Lancaster. What do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by riadfk
Thank you for the information Minerva, trust me when I tell you that I have seen more than hundreds of websites just to know which one wins. I really am clueless now for each website says something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The websites will be selling themselves - they are a marketing tool. The rankings can give you some idea because they are usually based on standard data available for all the ranked institutions. Otherwise it's a case of deciding which course content interests you most and you having to make a judgement call based on what matters to you. The only other point to make is that undergraduate rankings do not mean very much when it comes to postgraduate study. Some unis that do not do particularly well in undergraduate tables offer niche postgraduate courses that are very well regarded in their particular sectors.
Original post by riadfk
Cpaige I agree with you, rankings are not everything. But at the same time maybe firms look for that. I mean York is number 19 in QS for UK, number 103 worldwide. It has to mean something don't you think?

I believe the worst page is the league tables for they say that coventry is way better than others. I have an offer from Coventry, Hull, Lincoln, Brunel, and Hult but I believe none are worth it so I chose between York and Lancaster. What do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

League tables are a good guide but that is all they are. These 2 unis are of similar standard. I don't know about business but both are excellent unis and whichever you choose will be a good choice. You need to decide on course content and feelings for the university and city. To be honest I would suggest that CUG and the Times are probably the best guide but as the 2 unis are of very similar standings the league tables will be of no use to you.
Reply 9
Thanks Jack I will take that into consideration. I think i'm going to choose York

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest