The Student Room Group

Cambridge MPhil Econ or Tier 3 IB in Asia

Hi folks,

I was wondering what people in this forum might think about the following choice:

I've received an offer for a 1-year MPhil in Economics at Cambridge, but I've also received an offer for an accelerated 2-year graduate programme in a "Tier 3" bank (e.g. Nomura, HSBC, RBC, etc.) stationed in Asia.

A few things I'm concerned about:
1) I'm not too happy about burdening my parents with another year of studies
2) I'm not sure if this degree will really give me access to better career prospects
3) I'm slightly concerned about future career mobility by starting in a relatively remote office in Asia, from a non bulge bracket bank

I'd appreciate any kind of insight anyone might have on this or similar situations. Thank you very much.
Original post by trownian
Hi folks,

I was wondering what people in this forum might think about the following choice:

I've received an offer for a 1-year MPhil in Economics at Cambridge, but I've also received an offer for an accelerated 2-year graduate programme in a "Tier 3" bank (e.g. Nomura, HSBC, RBC, etc.) stationed in Asia.

2) I'm not sure if this degree will really give me access to better career prospects
3) I'm slightly concerned about future career mobility by starting in a relatively remote office in Asia, from a non bulge bracket bank

I'd appreciate any kind of insight anyone might have on this or similar situations. Thank you very much.

I don't quite see how your parents would be burdened considering you're going to one of the top 5 best universities in the entire world.

Take cambridge, in my opinion
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply!

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I was an international student. So while I do think that Cambridge is a great university, I don't harbor any illusions as to it being a guaranteed ticket into a BB bank in the UK. So if I'm likely going to have to look for a job elsewhere afterwards, I was wondering whether it might just be better to take the job I have right now.
Thanks for the reply!

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I was an international student. So while I do think that Cambridge is a great university, I don't harbor any illusions as to it being a guaranteed ticket into a BB bank in the UK. So if I'm likely going to have to look for a job elsewhere afterwards, I was wondering whether it might just be better to take the job I have right now.

In my opinion experience >> academia. Cambridge is by no means a guarantee to get into a BB bank, as places are still incredibly competitive between those from the target universities.

Take the job get experience, if you feel you're at a dead end and education will help you out of the rut in a couple of years you'll be even more attractive to Cambridge than you are now (and will be able to support yourself).
Reply 4
Hi folks,

This depends. Did you go to a target university when you did your undergrad degree? If not, then maybe go for the Cambridge MPhil because banks may be rejecting you because of the lack of a target university. If you did go to a target then maybe you didn't get any other offers because of a lack of experience/ extra curricular activities, so focus on improving those while working at the Tier 3 bank, then maybe apply to bulge bracket banks as an experienced hire.
Reply 5
@Princepieman help him please
Hi folks,

Would take the tier 3 offer, those banks are still decent brand names and there's nothing wrong with getting a start in the industry before thinking about trading up in 'prestige'. Think of it this way, you're willing to drop £40k on the 'chance' of being able to trade up to a better bank which will ultimately pay you around the same starting. Whereas, you have an offer for a guaranteed two years where you'll be making more than the £40k (+ bonus) p.a.

It's completely possible to transfer banks if you've had prior success in your role - usually happens in the analyst --> associate transition. If not, apply to top MBA programmes for another shot. It makes no sense throwing away a banking offer.
Hi folks,

Hey good job on receiving those offers!
In my opinion, Cambridge would be your best option. The safe option would be going for the 2 year graduate programme at one of those banks but your options would be limited compared to doing a economics at Cambridge, one of the best courses in the world, it would open up so many different opportunities with a strong chance for landing a place at a top bank.

Quick Reply

Latest