Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    At the moment i have a cross trainer and using it everyday for 30 minutes while i am at school, once i'm on holiday i plan to do at least an hour everyday, and looking for anything else to help me, i'm 17 i'm 5'6" at the moment i weigh about 79kg and would like to get about 60 Kg, i know it'll take long but i do not mind since i haven't reached my growth spurt yet, just any advice that would help make it more efficient or effective without damaging my growth.

ReputationRep:
    WALK LITERALLY EVERYWHERE. I walk everywhere, whether it be to school, into town, i walk, and i can go on public transport but there's no point, bc i live near eveything.
    walk everywhere, and cut down on fatty food etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunderblade50)
    At the moment i have a cross trainer and using it everyday for 30 minutes while i am at school, once i'm on holiday i plan to do at least an hour everyday, and looking for anything else to help me, i'm 17 i'm 5'6" at the moment i weigh about 79kg and would like to get about 60 Kg, i know it'll take long but i do not mind since i haven't reached my growth spurt yet, just any advice that would help make it more efficient or effective without damaging my growth.
    It's great that you've started doing exercise and that will help, and is overall a good thing to do for your health.

However diet is much more successful weight loss measure.

The mechanism of weight loss is actually really quite simple. It calories in vs calories out (CICO).

If you eat more calories than you burn your body will store the excess calories as fat.

If you eat the same amount of calories as your body burns you weight will remain consistent.

And if you eat less calories than your body burns then your body will break down the fat on your body (and some muscle) to account for the extra calories needed and you will lose weight.

First you need to calculate your TDEE using this site:

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculato...alculator.html

Your TDEE is the total approximate amount of calories your body needs to maintain it's weight (so the amount your body "burns" a day. Your TDEE is determined by your weight, height, gender, activity, level, age and in some cases medical conditions.

Once you have calculated your TDEE all you have to do is eat under that number of calories per day and you will lose weight. How fast and how much weight you lose depends on how many calories below you eat.

For example if you eat 500 calories less a day (generally a good amount to cut down on) you will lose approximately 1lb a week. This is because 1lb of fat is approximately 3500 calories (3500/7 days = 500 calories).

I recommend you use www.myfitnesspal.com to count the calories you eat. Try to be as accurate as you possibly can when counting calories. If possible weigh your food, and if you can't overestimating the amounts is better than underestimating if your goal is weight loss. Remember to log each ingredient of a home made meal rather than searching for the meal itself as it will be more accurate. And don't forget to log things like drinks, cooking oils and sauces as people often forget these but they can pack on a fair few extra calories through the day.

As you said you know it will take a while to lose the weight, and it's good you acknowledge this. A lot of people get frustrated and give up when the weight isn't dropping off fast.

When weighing yourself remember that the approximates of how much you should lose as week are exactly that approximate! Some weeks you'll see larger drops in weight and others you'll see nothing. That's perfectly normal! Also take into account that a fluctuation of 3-4lbs is completely normal especially for women during their cycle so don't be concerned about that. If however after 6 weeks you have seen no improvement in the scale then you either need to lower your calorific intake further (your TDEE is lower than approximated) or you're not counting your calories accurately and are eating more than you think.

If you find yourself reaching a plateau in your weight loss it is likely because your TDEE has been lowered and you're no longer at a large enough deficit to continue losing weight at your previous steady rate. The less you weigh the lower your TDEE. So over the course of your weight loss keep recalculating your TDEE to ensure you're staying within a good calorific deficit.

In terms of what your diet should consist of. If we're talking strictly weight loss the types of food you eat have little to no baring on the weight you lose. However eating a healthy and balanced diet will keep you feeling fitter and happier and more likely to stick to your calorific goals. So be sure you're getting adequate nutrition. But also be sure to allow yourself treats (within your calorie allowances) weight loss shouldn't make you miserable and it should be sustainable.

Once you have reached your goal weight you will need to recalculate your TDEE, you will then need to eat that amount of calories a day on average to maintain your weight.

And there you have it.

Let me know if you have any questions or are confused about anything.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 3, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.