Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you take a pay cut to have a 3 day weekend? Watch

• TSR Community Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Welcome Squad
    Say you worked a tradition 9-5 job, Monday to Friday.

Would you take a pay cut to have a 3 day weekend?

ReputationRep:
    YES. Considering I don't even enjoy my placement and I can still say I did it for 12 months :lol:

ReputationRep:
    How much of a pay cut?
    How would my hours on the other days change?
    Which day would I get off?

Pickles pls do u even details

ReputationRep:
    I barely know how to use my time during the weekends properly, so no, I don't need more time off.

ReputationRep:
    To pass professional examinations sure, but after that 5 full days is fine.

To be honest, eventually we'll have to introduce basic income anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Yes and I have recently done so.

I wouldn't have done it if I was going to suffer financially etc.

But I'd rather have slightly less money & more time to actually enjoy it

Whereas before I was work work work work work. Okay I had money...but what good is it if I'm not around to spend and enjoy it? Or worse...I've died of exhaustion.
    • TSR Community Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by difeo)
    How much of a pay cut?
    How would my hours on the other days change?
    Which day would I get off?

Pickles pls do u even details
    If you work 5 days a week, but take a day off you wouldn't get paid for that day so it would be 1/5th pay cut. You work your standard hours on the other days. Typically on a 3 day weekend, you'll take the Friday off, but then again, it's up to you which day you take off

ReputationRep:
    No, costs will rise and income will fall. I won't be able to buy as many things, go on holiday for as long and it will take longer to pay back any loans or mortgages. Prices will be forced down because not so many people would be able to afford to consume as many goods so businesses will therefore be driven out of business, leaving thousands unemployed.

A 3 day weekend is the last thing this economy needs. I think this deeply as I'm an economics student.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, once you start an office job you never work the full day anyway. I recall reading some research that most people are only actually working about 50-75% of the time at 'work' anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Nope, once you start an office job you never work the full day anyway. I recall reading some research that most people are only actually working about 50-75% of the time at 'work' anyway
    It's a weird thing when self-righteous middle class white collar types are held to lower standards than the working classes.

Part of my work experience was at a small financial planning company and those guys were proper LADS, golf clubs in the corner, basket ball net on the wall, chucking paper at each other's heads if they cocked up, it was testosterone fueled glory.

That **** would never fly if you were poor and working in retail

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feel Tha Bern)
    It's a weird thing when self-righteous middle class white collar types are held to lower standards than the working classes.

Part of my work experience was at a small financial planning company and those guys were proper LADS, golf clubs in the corner, basket ball net on the wall, chucking paper at each other's heads if they cocked up, it was testosterone fueled glory.

That **** would never fly if you were poor and working in retail
    Great attempt at turning this into a political debate :rolleyes:

I've worked in a variety of jobs from entry level to 'professional services', all of them seem to have had a pretty consistent level of slacking amongst the employees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Great attempt at turning this into a political debate :rolleyes:

I've worked in a variety of jobs from entry level to 'professional services', all of them seem to have had a pretty consistent level of slacking amongst the employees.
    I wasn't claiming it's bad, some level of slacking probably enhances creativity and makes sure the employees don't burn out during busy periods.

My point really is that the so called professional world, really isn't that professional and so long as you're qualified and respected, you can get away with all sorts of boyish nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    Im happy with 2 actually, Id become even lazier and procrastinate even more with 3

and this every time
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    No, I'd be willing to take on extra hours though.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, but only as I've ME/CFS. Were it not for that fact then almost definitely not, I'm a maximum productivity vs. zero waste kinda guy :ninja:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.