Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so I've applied to the University of Leeds and Leeds College of Art, but I'll probs end up at LCA. I was wondering if anyone who goes there could tell me how Leeds College of Art freshers week works if the term start date is the 28th September as this is after the big Leeds freshers events and I really don't want to miss it!! I know it sounds stupid, but it kind of puts me off going there as freshers week is something I've been looking forward to. I know that LCA has its own freshers week, but it just might not be the same haha. Could someone please explain what goes on?!!! xx

ReputationRep:
    same!! thought the 28th sounded a bit late

ReputationRep:
    Presuming you're moving to leeds you'll move into your accommodation a few weeks before term starts to get accustomed. Therefore you'll be here for freshers week. At Uni of we had 'week 0' so although technically semester started on the 28th last year freshers was the week beforehand. Wherever you get in will send you a welcome pack explaining all these things

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I was looking at the 2016/2017 term dates here https://www.leeds.ac.uk/secretariat/almanac.html for University of Leeds and it says :

Session starts Wednesday 21 Sept
    Semester 1 Teaching begins Monday 26 Sept

Is the Freshers Week from 21-26? Or the week before (from 12) ?

I need to book my plane tickets and know what to tell the landlord, but got confused.

And 2nd question (as I don't know the UK system )

If teaching ends on Dec 9th and exams start on January 9th, I will really have 1 free month with no classes/exams?

The same question for March 24th-April 24th, is that a 1 month holiday as well? And 2 weeks from 5th to 15th May? And if the exams end on 2nd June, what happens till 16th June(ed of 3rd term)? :confused:

Basically, when is the actual time everything is finished and I can move out?

Help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annii123)
    Hello!

I was looking at the 2016/2017 term dates here https://www.leeds.ac.uk/secretariat/almanac.html for University of Leeds and it says :

Session starts Wednesday 21 Sept
    Semester 1 Teaching begins Monday 26 Sept

Is the Freshers Week from 21-26? Or the week before (from 12) ?

I need to book my plane tickets and know what to tell the landlord, but got confused.

And 2nd question (as I don't know the UK system )

If teaching ends on Dec 9th and exams start on January 9th, I will really have 1 free month with no classes/exams?

The same question for March 24th-April 24th, is that a 1 month holiday as well? And 2 weeks from 5th to 15th May? And if the exams end on 2nd June, what happens till 16th June(ed of 3rd term)? :confused:

Basically, when is the actual time everything is finished and I can move out?

Help!
    I'd presume from that, that fresher's week is the 21st onwards (though if possible I'd try moving in a little bit earlier, just to get settled before you start uni, I moved in three days early, even though I am from the UK!) It seems unusual to me for freshers to be any earlier as it wouldn't give enough time for those who receive their firm offer in mid/late august!

Yes you have a month off for Christmas (my international friend spent the time travelling around Europe) and yes you have another month off for Easter (for me that's next week)

You can leave as soon as your exams are over. But you won't know when your last exam is until about this time next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IfOnlyItWereEasy)
    I'd presume from that, that fresher's week is the 21st onwards (though if possible I'd try moving in a little bit earlier, just to get settled before you start uni, I moved in three days early, even though I am from the UK!) It seems unusual to me for freshers to be any earlier as it wouldn't give enough time for those who receive their firm offer in mid/late august!

Yes you have a month off for Christmas (my international friend spent the time travelling around Europe) and yes you have another month off for Easter (for me that's next week)

You can leave as soon as your exams are over. But you won't know when your last exam is until about this time next year.
    Thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annii123)
    Thank you so much!
    You're very welcome you might want to drop the university an email to double check for peace of mind.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.