Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im going to be studying in October, I just wanted to know what the course was like overall.

Also how much are books and does any come with the course?

Thank you!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    What do you want to know? It's a very broad degree, what modules will you be taking? You don't need to buy any books; you're sent everything you need. I suppose your first module will be 'AA100: The arts past and present' - you get 4 textbooks and 2 illustration books.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FlissParis)
    Im going to be studying in October, I just wanted to know what the course was like overall.

Also how much are books and does any come with the course?

Thank you!
    I signed up for the first module but never actually began studying it. I did buy the books though and if you buy them new you should probably allow around £30-40 for the books (Dr. Faustus, a poetry selection, an anthology of short stories, plus The Burial at Thebes) plus about £5 for the film you have to buy (Bhaji on the Beach). The other books (textbooks) are provided, plus you get some DVDs and cd-roms provided too. That's assuming you're doing AA100 to start with. What books you have to buy in the future will depend on the modules you choose, but you can always see what you have to buy before signing up to a module.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by mscaffrey)
    I signed up for the first module but never actually began studying it. I did buy the books though and if you buy them new you should probably allow around £30-40 for the books (Dr. Faustus, a poetry selection, an anthology of short stories, plus The Burial at Thebes) plus about £5 for the film you have to buy (Bhaji on the Beach). The other books (textbooks) are provided, plus you get some DVDs and cd-roms provided too. That's assuming you're doing AA100 to start with. What books you have to buy in the future will depend on the modules you choose, but you can always see what you have to buy before signing up to a module.
    You don't need any of those books. Not sure why they say you need to buy them (or the DVD), you don't ever use them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    You don't need any of those books. Not sure why they say you need to buy them (or the DVD), you don't ever use them.
    Well, the assessments ask about them and I think if you want to get the most out of the course you should read the set books rather than just attempt the questions based on the extracts you're given. I suppose it depends on what you want out of the course, though.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Well, the assessments ask about them and I think if you want to get the most out of the course you should read the set books rather than just attempt the questions based on the extracts you're given. I suppose it depends on what you want out of the course, though.
    Not all of the chapters are assessed, it alternates every year. You also have some choice over which TMAs and EMAs you do. There was quite a big discussion about this in my OU Facebook group, a lot of people were annoyed that they bought all the 'required' books and DVD, and none of them ever needed to use them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Not all of the chapters are assessed, it alternates every year. You also have some choice over which TMAs and EMAs you do. There was quite a big discussion about this in my OU Facebook group, a lot of people were annoyed that they bought all the 'required' books and DVD, and none of them ever needed to use them.
    I don't have the assessment booklet for the session I enrolled on (February this year) but I remember Dr. Faustus being necessary and The Burial at Thebes was either necessary or I took it as a given that I would choose that because I was aiming for the English lit degree. I know a lot of history students were angry at having to study the poetry, too, so I assume that was going to be assessed. The best thing to do is probably read the assessment booklet before investing.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I don't have the assessment booklet for the session I enrolled on (February this year) but I remember Dr. Faustus being necessary and The Burial at Thebes was either necessary or I took it as a given that I would choose that because I was aiming for the English lit degree. I know a lot of history students were angry at having to study the poetry, too, so I assume that was going to be assessed. The best thing to do is probably read the assessment booklet before investing.
    Maybe I was lucky in my TMA line-up, but I did Faustus (and got 87% I might add :smartass:), and I didn't need the book, they just gave me part of the text to assess (see spoiler). Pretty sure it's on project Gutenberg anyway so why bother paying for it?

TMA 1: Cleopatra and Faustus.
    TMA 2: Self-assessment
    TMA 3: The Diva (Maria Callas) and Plato
    TMA 4: Pugin or Ireland
    TMA 5: Art of Benin
    TMA 6: History of Medicine (Ibn Sina) or Short Stories (The Last Mohican)
    TMA 7: Self-assessment
    EMA: Sacred Places or The Seaside or Epicurus

Spoiler:
    Show

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.