Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to do English Lit and Creative Writing at Uni, and I put down French as an A-level option but not I'm reconsidering, as I've recently started to really get into RE and get full marks on all the topics. I also enjoy it a lot more, and I know that if I do French I'll probably give myself too much hard work.
    Can anyone who's done French or RE A-level tell me a bit about the course please? Even better, if someone's done both, can you say which one you found more interesting? I like both subjects, but I really don't know which one to carry on. Thankyou!

ReputationRep:
    I guess it depends which you enjoy more. As for me, french never sparked a passion for me so I dropped it at GCSE. I did RE at GCSE and have continued with it for A Level.

From what I've seen, there is a huge jump for both subjects, I'm a little bit more biased because I think RS is more interesting. I'm doing Edexcel and the subjects becomes increasingly more academic, expect a lot of essays. My school focuses on the Philosophy and Ethics part of the curriculum and trust me, it is incredibly interesting and although the philosophy does hurt your head sometimes, it is fascinating. Expect less of the leniency of GCSE, you'll be getting into the itty gritty business, since I do Philosophy and Ethics, it does not focus heavily on religion but you can expect references to it!

I hope that helped! If you do pick the wrong choice when September comes round, you still have the chance to switch subjects in the first term before it gets too late, so don't fret.

p.s I've applied for English BA at uni

ReputationRep:
    Well, the French course is very easy if you speak French. If you don't speak French I can image it being a bit of challenging but I suppose you could memorise large chunks of material. All it is is a series of units on everyday topics (eg. environment, fashion, holidays) that you're expected to talk and write a little about. There's also a very small literature segment. If you're serious about doing it, I would recommend not focusing on the course as such but more on getting your level in French up by listening and reading. You could probably make a lot of progress over the summer just with 30 mins a day!

I didn't do RE A Level but I expect it could be very interesting. I've heard it's good however I also know that schools choose their own units and I guess if you've not so interested in a topic that might not be great. So you should probably check out which units your school does.

I would also say that French is a great language and France an amazing country but that's purely my personal opinion :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gin44)
    I guess it depends which you enjoy more. As for me, french never sparked a passion for me so I dropped it at GCSE. I did RE at GCSE and have continued with it for A Level.

From what I've seen, there is a huge jump for both subjects, I'm a little bit more biased because I think RS is more interesting. I'm doing Edexcel and the subjects becomes increasingly more academic, expect a lot of essays. My school focuses on the Philosophy and Ethics part of the curriculum and trust me, it is incredibly interesting and although the philosophy does hurt your head sometimes, it is fascinating. Expect less of the leniency of GCSE, you'll be getting into the itty gritty business, since I do Philosophy and Ethics, it does not focus heavily on religion but you can expect references to it!

I hope that helped! If you do pick the wrong choice when September comes round, you still have the chance to switch subjects in the first term before it gets too late, so don't fret.

p.s I've applied for English BA at uni
    Thankyou for your response! I'm really considering changing to RE as I think I would enjoy it more and possibly do better with it, but the only thing putting me off is the fact I'm doing both English literature and language, and both are essay-based subjects so I know I'd have a LOT of essays to write. I'm pretty sure I'm going to switch though, as I've been looking at a lot of the topics and they all seem very interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Des_Lumières)
    Well, the French course is very easy if you speak French. If you don't speak French I can image it being a bit of challenging but I suppose you could memorise large chunks of material. All it is is a series of units on everyday topics (eg. environment, fashion, holidays) that you're expected to talk and write a little about. There's also a very small literature segment. If you're serious about doing it, I would recommend not focusing on the course as such but more on getting your level in French up by listening and reading. You could probably make a lot of progress over the summer just with 30 mins a day!

I didn't do RE A Level but I expect it could be very interesting. I've heard it's good however I also know that schools choose their own units and I guess if you've not so interested in a topic that might not be great. So you should probably check out which units your school does.

I would also say that French is a great language and France an amazing country but that's purely my personal opinion :-)
    Thankyou for responding! I only speak basic/intermediate French really, which is what's putting me off a bit as I can barely manage to get A*s and As now and I know the jump up to A-level will be really difficult. I'm going to speak to my RE teacher next week and see which unit our school does, and if it sounds good I'll probably change to it. I do love French and think it'd be great to be able to speak it almost fluently, but I don't want to give myself too much hard work that would make my other grades go down. I'd like to go back to Paris one day anyway, so I'll probably learn some more French when I'm older before I go (I HATE it when people go to another country and expect everyone to speak English!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thedivinesecret)
    I'm looking to do English Lit and Creative Writing at Uni, and I put down French as an A-level option but not I'm reconsidering, as I've recently started to really get into RE and get full marks on all the topics. I also enjoy it a lot more, and I know that if I do French I'll probably give myself too much hard work.
    Can anyone who's done French or RE A-level tell me a bit about the course please? Even better, if someone's done both, can you say which one you found more interesting? I like both subjects, but I really don't know which one to carry on. Thankyou!
    all my friends that did french died and all the ones that did re got quite good results- but it all depends on what you enjoy the most bc that will mean you put the most effort in it and then get good grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thedivinesecret)
    Thankyou for your response! I'm really considering changing to RE as I think I would enjoy it more and possibly do better with it, but the only thing putting me off is the fact I'm doing both English literature and language, and both are essay-based subjects so I know I'd have a LOT of essays to write. I'm pretty sure I'm going to switch though, as I've been looking at a lot of the topics and they all seem very interesting.
    Haha, that's quite alright. I also do english literature, and even though are heavily essay based, it won't be as difficult as you think. If you can balance your time it's great. Essays for RS do not take up much time because it's all about learning the content and building the foundations for it. I can only speak for the edexcel course, but I love it :')

Best of luck choosing your choices,

ReputationRep:
    i do french at AS level and i LOVE it It is by far my favourite subject!! im also doing english language, english literature and film and i have no problems sqeezing everything in! If youre willing to put in the effort after a while it just clicks and you become good at it. Id say give it a go if you're willing to throw in a subject that will make you stand out at uni!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.