The Student Room Group

I feel pretty bad that I punched a guys tooth out? will I get convicted?

So my father dropped me off at the local shopping area near ASDA to go to the pharmacy where I had to collect my disabled brothers medicine. On the way there I was encountered by two homeless looking middle aged blokes who just came out the pub round the corner and a really wierd scatty looking woman. They blocked the whole pavement so I couldnt get past, one of the men grinned so I gently smiled back and said "excuse me please" and he pushed me back...
the woman then pushed me and said "dount touch me" in a really aggressive way. So I was pissed off to a different level as you can imagine because if my brother doesnt have his tablets daily he suffers from severe fits.
But I remained calm and said "whats your problem? I didnt even touch you and I would never do something like that" and I lectured her that if she was to do this to the wrong bloke and her mates (the other two men) werent with her she would of put herself in grave danger. This local area is a **** hole and there is 2 pubs opposite each other with a mosque there too so you can imagine the clashes that occur from time to time.
So this guy who grinned at me gripped me by the collar and called me a "dirty p@ki" So in a fit of range I headbutted him and punched him square in the mouth, he bled alot and I broke his front tooth. They all then scattered off and I proceeded with the day.

But there was a **** load of witnesses and I kept getting dirty looks, did I over react? will some one report me to the police? :frown:
It was an overreaction imo, violence isn't ever 'right' but at the same time it was more or less self defence and you were only trying to help your brother, they sound like right weirdos anyway. As long as you're reflecting on your actions, know they were wrong and aren't violent by nature, there's not much to worry about in terms of being treated differently because of it tbh, in terms of conviction, I doubt you'd get charged, i doubt the guy who challenged would want to get involved with the police he was as much in the wrong and he was the instigator
(edited 8 years ago)
I personally believe that given the fact he physically grabbed you as you were subject to racial abuse, you have grounds to believe your life was in danger and that you were merely using reasonable force to defend yourself from racist thugs.

If it comes to it, also emphasise how there were three of them, so it would make no sense for you to initiate an altercation given how dangerous doing so would be to yourself.
(edited 8 years ago)
The fact he grabbed you by the collar and was verbally abusing you, you were right to defend yourself. I mean who would just stand there and be like "well he hasn't stabbed or punched me yet, so I'm not going to do anything."
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lord Samosa
The fact he grabbed you by the collar and was verbally abusing, you were right to defend yourself. I mean who would just stand there and be like "well he hasn't stabbed or punched me yet, so I'm not going to do anything."

Exactly, he could have had a knife, he could have been about to punch OP which can cause bleeds to the brain, OP's life was potentially in danger.
Self defence. Preemptive strikes are allowed for the purpose of self defense under common law.

Good on you!
good for you! dw it was just self defence- plus they deserved it
Reply 7
Self defence, brah
Come on you should of done more to him than that! JK he deserved it.
If anything does escalate to the level of someone reporting you to the police, you will always have your reason of self defense.

I think you may of overreacted. There was no need to hurt him so badly. Maybe a push could've been enough. Though as I said before, you did that to defend yourself. Also, I would never know exactly how you felt in that situation for you to do that. :erm:
No way the police will get involved. Sounds like he got what was coming to him and he picked on the wrong person!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending