Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I'm currently studying all the level 1 modules for Computing & IT and Statistics: My Digital Life, Essential Mathematics 1, and Introducing Statistics.

I've found that My Digital Life has been extremely dull, and I've learned almost nothing new from it. By contrast, Essential Mathematics 1 has been a really fascinating and enjoyable module.

I'm curious as to the opinions of anyone who has studied computing and/or mathematics modules with the Open University before as to whether it's more worthwhile to study mathematics with the OU than computing? It seems like their maths department is far better than their computing department, at least so far.

Do you think it'd be worth changing to mathematics?

ReputationRep:
    I did some maths modules and then switched to computing because I find it a million times easier and my aim is just to get a degree.

Personally, I'd say that maths is more worthwhile. Main complaint about computing is that some of the materials are very dated in parts. In one module, two tutors are posting conflicting TMA advice on the forum although that could happen in other subjects too. Also, I did a programming based module and found it quite spoonfed with lots of TMA questions very, very similar to questions answered in the module materials. IMO, I don't think computing modules get harder after TU100; they just get more specific and the TMAs get longer.

Which L2/3 computing modules were you considering?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1203)
    I did some maths modules and then switched to computing because I find it a million times easier and my aim is just to get a degree.

Personally, I'd say that maths is more worthwhile. Main complaint about computing is that some of the materials are very dated in parts. In one module, two tutors are posting conflicting TMA advice on the forum although that could happen in other subjects too. Also, I did a programming based module and found it quite spoonfed with lots of TMA questions very, very similar to questions answered in the module materials. IMO, I don't think computing modules get harder after TU100; they just get more specific and the TMAs get longer.

Which L2/3 computing modules were you considering?
    I was considering taking "Object Oriented Java Programming" and "Algorithms, Data Structures and Computability" at level 2, then "Data Management and Analysis" at level 3 alongside the project. The other 60 credits at each stage would come from statistics modules in my current qualification.

I have to agree about the materials being dated. Seeing lots of discussion of sites like Bebo in TU100 felt very strange. It also feels like it's talking about lots of fads rather than focusing on anything fundamental to programming or computer science, which isn't what I'm looking for. With mathematics I don't feel like I have the same worry about being taught rapidly (or already) outdated information.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.