Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm a masters student and have been accused of plagiarising two essays, one 1000 words and the other 4000. I'm genuinely shocked as I honestly written both essays and was surprised to receive a letter telling me that I am being investigated for plagiarism and need to attend a meeting on Monday. The University sent me a copy of the turnitin plagiarism similarity report and for the 1000 word essay it was 42% and for the 4000 word essay it was 53%. While I accept that this is quite a high similarity percentage, most of the highlighted plagiarised text on turnitin is found in the footnotes (ie author names and book/journal titles) rather than text in the main body of the essay. From the highlighted plagiarised text in the main body of my essays on turnitin, I referenced the authors I referred to.

I did refer to academic authors, and perhaps I could have paraphrased better, but I reworded most of it and I did reference it. I feel that this is very harsh to consider this plagiarism, as while I do admit I could have reworded some parts a little better, it is not as if I have directly copied chunks or ripped off someone elses writing with out acknowledging it. I spoke to the student union and they believe that I have probably referenced incorrectly which is why the plagiarism score is so high.

However, I have used a similar style when writing my essays for other assignments throughout undergrad and masters up until now and this is the first time I have had a problem like this. I would appreciate any advice on what I should do in this situation.

ReputationRep:
    Hi from what I heard at a plagiarism class, paraphrasing falls into plagiarism. I'm not really sure about what you can do now. Have you tried speaking to the head of your course? Explain to them the situation? That you didn't reference properly.

I'm sure that if you haven't referenced properly they only dock marks of your final grade for the module? I don't know if that's true though but plagiarism is pretty serious

Ugh I don't even think I've helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AthiaKarim)
    Hi from what I heard at a plagiarism class, paraphrasing falls into plagiarism. I'm not really sure about what you can do now. Have you tried speaking to the head of your course? Explain to them the situation? That you didn't reference properly.

I'm sure that if you haven't referenced properly they only dock marks of your final grade for the module? I don't know if that's true though but plagiarism is pretty serious

Ugh I don't even think I've helped
    I get what you're saying but surely if I have referenced the source it can't be plagiarism?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by justiceisjust)
    I get what you're saying but surely if I have referenced the source it can't be plagiarism?
    It's very difficult to tell without seeing what you've written. Did you follow the department's referencing guidelines?

I would make an appointment with your Students Union as soon as possible as they should have someone who will be able to support you and understand the university's policy. Ideally you should bring someone with you to the meeting on Monday too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justiceisjust)
    I'm a masters student and have been accused of plagiarising two essays, one 1000 words and the other 4000. I'm genuinely shocked as I honestly written both essays and was surprised to receive a letter telling me that I am being investigated for plagiarism and need to attend a meeting on Monday. The University sent me a copy of the turnitin plagiarism similarity report and for the 1000 word essay it was 42% and for the 4000 word essay it was 53%. While I accept that this is quite a high similarity percentage, most of the highlighted plagiarised text on turnitin is found in the footnotes (ie author names and book/journal titles) rather than text in the main body of the essay. From the highlighted plagiarised text in the main body of my essays on turnitin, I referenced the authors I referred to.

I did refer to academic authors, and perhaps I could have paraphrased better, but I reworded most of it and I did reference it. I feel that this is very harsh to consider this plagiarism, as while I do admit I could have reworded some parts a little better, it is not as if I have directly copied chunks or ripped off someone elses writing with out acknowledging it. I spoke to the student union and they believe that I have probably referenced incorrectly which is why the plagiarism score is so high.

However, I have used a similar style when writing my essays for other assignments throughout undergrad and masters up until now and this is the first time I have had a problem like this. I would appreciate any advice on what I should do in this situation.

Hi, I was just wondering what happened in the end with this? how did the uni react?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.