Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Accepting a conditional offer - What if I don't meet the criteria watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've applied through UCAS and already made up my mind as to which offer to accept. The one thing that worries me is not meeting the criteria of the offer later on. The results of my finals won't come in until July, so until then I won't know if I'm in. What happens if my results don't meet the requirements? Would my other offers still be avaliable?

Thanks in advance !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Balbina)
    Hi, I've applied through UCAS and already made up my mind as to which offer to accept. The one thing that worries me is not meeting the criteria of the offer later on. The results of my finals won't come in until July, so until then I won't know if I'm in. What happens if my results don't meet the requirements? Would my other offers still be avaliable?

Thanks in advance !
    If you meet the criteria your firm choice has to accept you. if you don't it is up to them to decide. If they do not accept you your insurance acts in the same way. If neither accept you it is clearing or a gap year

ReputationRep:
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    If you don't meet it it's almost certain they would reject you... If this happened to you should contact them personally anyway and do your best to put your case forward. That's why it's a good idea to have an lower insurance offer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Des_Lumières)
    If you don't meet it it's almost certain they would reject you... If this happened to you should contact them personally anyway and do your best to put your case forward. That's why it's a good idea to have an lower insurancie offer
    This isn't true lots of people get in with dropped grades. It varies between unis and different years. If not enough people meet their grades then unis often accept a dropped grade
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    If you don't meet it it's almost certain they would reject you...
    Nope
    As explained by swanseajack it's very common to be accepted with lower grades. In 2015 nearly 50% of applicants were accepted with 2 or more grades below their offer conditions. There's just no guarantee that this will happen.
    If this happened to you should contact them personally anyway and do your best to put your case forward.
    Nope. See the flowchart in my sig (blue arrow on the bottom right of the post). Phoning universities is only a good idea in certain circumstances. Any other cases and you're wasting everyone's time and clogging up the phone lines.

That's why it's a good idea to have an lower insurance offer
    The best idea is to have an insurance offer you're HAPPY to go to. If that also has a lower offer then billy bonus time but committing to an insurance with a lower offer when you aren't keen on going to that course is a terrible idea.

ReputationRep:
    I mostly just wanted to know whether other offers I got are still avaliable after accepting a choice. I'm not from UK and it's all a bit different where I live - I get confused from time to time.

ReputationRep:
    I mostly just wanted to know whether other offers I got are still avaliable after accepting a choice. I'm not from UK and it's all a bit different where I live - I get confused from time to time.
    No, once you have chosen your firm and insurance, the other offers disappear. You don't get to keep them.

ReputationRep:
    So I'll be able to choose the "insurance" on accepting an offer (when all 5 unis reply) ?

ReputationRep:
    So I'll be able to choose the "insurance" on accepting an offer (when all 5 unis reply) ?
    When all five have replied, you choose a firm choice (your favourite) and an insurance choice (your second favourite) and reject the rest. You can't do anything until all five have replied, unless you want to pull out of the one which hasn't answered yet.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by PQ)
    In 2015 nearly 50% of applicants were accepted with 2 or more grades below their offer conditions.
    And there's another bookmarked post...

Do you have the source for that excellent stat by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)

:laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Once all 5 universities have replied you'll be able to click to reply to your offers. When you reply you'll have to choose one firm option (the one you want to go to more than any other) and one insurance option (the one you want to go to if you don't meet the conditions for your firm option). You'll then have to tick to reject the other three.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by jneill)

I misquoted. It was 2 grades below their predictions:
    "52% of A-level accepts have missed their grades by two or more grades over the portfolio of three [A-levels]."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35492915
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by PQ)
    I misquoted. It was 2 grades below their predictions:
    "52% of A-level accepts have missed their grades by two or more grades over the portfolio of three [A-levels]."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35492915
    Ah! Oh well.

87% of stats are made up anyway...
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    So last year 52% of ACCEPTED applicants missed their predictions by 2 or more grades - and their entry routes break down as:

384,100 firm 81%
    39,500 ins 8%
    49,100 clearing (normal apps) 10%
    1,100 adjustment 0.2%

That's a lot of people in to their firm choice missing their predictions by 2 or more grades.

(Plus 15,200 clearing only accepted applicants who wouldn't have predicted grades)

https://www.ucas.com/sites/default/f...rt-2015-v2.pdf Page 90 for the entry route breakdown

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mscaffrey)
    Once all 5 universities have replied you'll be able to click to reply to your offers. When you reply you'll have to choose one firm option (the one you want to go to more than any other) and one insurance option (the one you want to go to if you don't meet the conditions for your firm option). You'll then have to tick to reject the other three.
    Thanks
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by PQ)
    So last year 52% of ACCEPTED applicants missed their predictions by 2 or more grades - and their entry routes break down as:

384,100 firm 81%
    39,500 ins 8%
    49,100 clearing (normal apps) 10%
    1,100 adjustment 0.2%

That's a lot of people in to their firm choice missing their predictions by 2 or more grades.

(Plus 15,200 clearing only accepted applicants who wouldn't have predicted grades)

https://www.ucas.com/sites/default/f...rt-2015-v2.pdf Page 90 for the entry route breakdown
    Assuming 100% of the clearing and insurance accepts fall into the 52% who missed their predictions (likely an overstatement) that leaves ~157,800 firm accepts taken last year with 2+ grades down on predictions 41% of firm accepts. As a minimum (some of the clearing and insurance people will have missed very slightly and been rejected by courses/universities with limited capacity).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Nope
    As explained by swanseajack it's very common to be accepted with lower grades. In 2015 nearly 50% of applicants were accepted with 2 or more grades below their offer conditions. There's just no guarantee that this will happen.

Nope. See the flowchart in my sig (blue arrow on the bottom right of the post). Phoning universities is only a good idea in certain circumstances. Any other cases and you're wasting everyone's time and clogging up the phone lines.

The best idea is to have an insurance offer you're HAPPY to go to. If that also has a lower offer then billy bonus time but committing to an insurance with a lower offer when you aren't keen on going to that course is a terrible idea.
    Ok well I'm sorry for the misinformation; sounds like you have much more accurate info than me...!
    (I'd still be careful though when applying for a competitive course where other applicants are more likely to get all As as in that situation if you missed you really might be left off - it's kind of one of those better safe than sorry situations cos the end of the day the uni will just do what it wants case by case)

Errr... and doesn't your flow chart say that if you miss your firm and it nothing changes on track you should ring them and ditto for the insurance? I think it says that.

Of course I wasn't suggesting you attend an insurance place you hate - that wouldn't be great. I was just implying that if you can find something you'd be happy to do with a lower offer (a uni you really like might give you a low offer for instances cos they like your app) sounds like a handy insurance place. Good luck with the rest of your exams !
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Errr... and doesn't your flow chart say that if you miss your firm and it nothing changes on track you should ring them and ditto for the insurance? I think it says that.
    The point of the flowchart is that if you miss your grades and Track says you're accepted or rejected then you DON'T ring....it's not an automatic case of ringing if you miss your grades (and even if you do ring it isn't to "plead your case" as the mythology says but to find out *when* a decision will be made and if they need any information from you).

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.