Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have had offers from both Coventry and Lincoln university to study journalism and don't know which one to choose. They both ask for grades BBB at A-level so I can't even put one as my insurance. I just want to know what's good about these unis and what qualities are maybe not so good about them. I'm really struggling to make my mind up as they both seem to offer great journalism courses.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    (Original post by callyjox)
    I have had offers from both Coventry and Lincoln university to study journalism and don't know which one to choose. They both ask for grades BBB at A-level so I can't even put one as my insurance. I just want to know what's good about these unis and what qualities are maybe not so good about them. I'm really struggling to make my mind up as they both seem to offer great journalism courses.
    Afternoon, congratulations on your offer from CU to study Journalism!

I'm a current student here studying Business Management, but I can still help.

What questions do you have in mind about CU specifically? and i'll be happy to help.

Naomi (CU Student Social Media Assistant)

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering what the city is life to live in and how easy it is to make friends? I want to move somewhere where I will feel comfortable. Is the nightlife any good there either? I have an offer from Lincoln as well with the same requirements so I'm trying to weigh up different pros and cons. Thankyou
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    (Original post by callyjox)
    I was just wondering what the city is life to live in and how easy it is to make friends? I want to move somewhere where I will feel comfortable. Is the nightlife any good there either? I have an offer from Lincoln as well with the same requirements so I'm trying to weigh up different pros and cons. Thankyou
    Afternoon, thanks for getting back to me, I hope the below helps and if you have more questions, please let me know:

Making friends: Before coming to University I was shy and wasn't that outgoing, so was worried that it would be hard to make friends, but I was definitely wrong. Living in halls is a good way to meet and make friends on a variety of courses and most people leave their doors open on moving in day as a way of moving past the initial awkwardness.

For me, the best way of making friends was through getting involved in the Students' Union, whether that was through societies, student council or the course rep system to name a few, through this i've made some friends for life.

I'd say 2 things: 1) Remember everyone is in the same situation e.g. new course, new surroundings, loads of info and cool people to meet so you're not alone and 2) if you make an effort no matter how little e.g. getting involved in the daytime or night time Freshers Week activities as an example it can help a lot too.

Area/Nightlife: Coventry University is based in the heart of the City Centre. The City Centre is currently going through a huge regeneration project which has seen it improve in terms of it's offerings in a number of aspects such as Wagamamas and The Cosy Club to name a few places that have landed since late last year.

I haven't personally been bored with the City Centre in my 4 years being here, it totally depends on what you in to or what you want to do, but the main road serving the campus has a lot of student spots where everyone tends to go including myself such as Quids Inn/The Phoenix. Nightlife totally depends on what you're after but there tends to be something for everyone whether that's going to Kasbah/JJs or going to a pub. If that's not enough for you then we have great transport links with the main train lines going both South and North, a lot of my friends tend to go over to Leamington & Birmingham at times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cov Uni;[url="tel:63246067")
    63246067[/url]]Afternoon, thanks for getting back to me, I hope the below helps and if you have more questions, please let me know:

Making friends: Before coming to University I was shy and wasn't that outgoing, so was worried that it would be hard to make friends, but I was definitely wrong. Living in halls is a good way to meet and make friends on a variety of courses and most people leave their doors open on moving in day as a way of moving past the initial awkwardness.

For me, the best way of making friends was through getting involved in the Students' Union, whether that was through societies, student council or the course rep system to name a few, through this i've made some friends for life.

I'd say 2 things: 1) Remember everyone is in the same situation e.g. new course, new surroundings, loads of info and cool people to meet so you're not alone and 2) if you make an effort no matter how little e.g. getting involved in the daytime or night time Freshers Week activities as an example it can help a lot too.

Area/Nightlife: Coventry University is based in the heart of the City Centre. The City Centre is currently going through a huge regeneration project which has seen it improve in terms of it's offerings in a number of aspects such as Wagamamas and The Cosy Club to name a few places that have landed since late last year.

I haven't personally been bored with the City Centre in my 4 years being here, it totally depends on what you in to or what you want to do, but the main road serving the campus has a lot of student spots where everyone tends to go including myself such as Quids Inn/The Phoenix. Nightlife totally depends on what you're after but there tends to be something for everyone whether that's going to Kasbah/JJs or going to a pub. If that's not enough for you then we have great transport links with the main train lines going both South and North, a lot of my friends tend to go over to Leamington & Birmingham at times.

Thanks so much for the detailed response! I am just really struggling between these two universities as both have pros and cons. Coventry is a lot closer to home for me which is making me sway more towards it.
    How did you choose between universities out of interest? What would you say is the most important thing to consider when choosing?
    Thankyou!

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I too received offers from Coventry and Lincoln. I eventually chose Coventry after I visited for an open day and loved it. For me, I think Lincoln would have offered a better environment but Coventry offered a lot more academic wise.

I will be going into my 3rd year this year and am currently on an Erasmus placement, so if you have any questions feel free to ask!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueDressJess;[url="tel:63332867")
    63332867[/url]]Hi! I too received offers from Coventry and Lincoln. I eventually chose Coventry after I visited for an open day and loved it. For me, I think Lincoln would have offered a better environment but Coventry offered a lot more academic wise.

I will be going into my 3rd year this year and am currently on an Erasmus placement, so if you have any questions feel free to ask!
    What course do you do? That's why I'm struggling because I would love to live in Lincoln but Coventry is closer to home and does seem to offer more opportunities for my course. I need to pick soon because I need to start applying for accommodation and student finance.
    How do you find the city of Coventry? Is there lot to do? And do you go out often with friends?
    Thankyou for replying

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.