Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have to do my evaluation soon for my statistics coursework and I am really confused on what to do for it and how to lay it out

I will be very grateful for any help on this issue

ReputationRep:
    If you give me a link to the relevant specification for whatever qualification you're doing, I can take a look.

(Original post by HOTSHOTS4)
    I have to do my evaluation soon for my statistics coursework and I am really confused on what to do for it and how to lay it out

I will be very grateful for any help on this issue

ReputationRep:
    I am doing AQA Statistics
    I am not sure what sort of specification but I think it is this one
    http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...10-W-SP-14.PDF

ReputationRep:
    I am doing GCSE statistics

ReputationRep:
    I am doing GCSE statistics
    I can't seem to find anything on Evaluation in the specification. But just taking a guess, I would say you should discuss what was good about your statistical methods and what could be improved to make the conclusions more accurate or reliable.

ReputationRep:
    thank you
    also, I have 12 box plots so I how would compare the to each other - I was told to include my box plots in my evaluation

ReputationRep:
    thank you
    also, I have 12 box plots so I how would compare the to each other - I was told to include my box plots in my evaluation
    Are they box plots of different data sets? You need to be a bit more specific.

ReputationRep:
    yes
    each one contains prices of holidays from different companies

ReputationRep:
    yes
    each one contains prices of holidays from different companies
    And was the task to compare which company was cheapest on average, or had the smallest range of prices, or something like that?

ReputationRep:
    I am sorry
    I should have explained more clearly
    I have 12 box plots all together - 6 for summer and 6 for winter
    my hypothesis is prices for adults going to Miami from Birmingham will be cheaper in summer than in winter

ReputationRep:
    I am sorry
    I should have explained more clearly
    I have 12 box plots all together - 6 for summer and 6 for winter
    my hypothesis is prices for adults going to Miami from Birmingham will be cheaper in summer than in winter
    If you found box plots a particularly useful statistical diagram for assessing the hypothesis, then include them and say this. Also give a reason, e.g. "they make the medians easy to compare side by side".

ReputationRep:
    thank you for help
    my last question is that what does the spearman's rank coefficient show you on a scatter graph when comparing Summer prices with Winter prices??

ReputationRep:
    thank you for help
    my last question is that what does the spearman's rank coefficient show you on a scatter graph when comparing Summer prices with Winter prices??
    The coefficient reflects how good the correlation is between those two sets of data.

ReputationRep:
    So if there was a weak strong correlation between the prices of summer and winter would that mean that when the prices of summer increase so would the price of winter??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So if there was a weak strong correlation between the prices of summer and winter would that mean that when the prices of summer increase so would the price of winter??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A correlation can't be weak and strong at the same time! But a moderate or strong correlation means essentially what you said, yes. Actually the Spearman coefficient tells you if the datasets are monotonically related, which means that for all points where the x value is greater than a certain number, the y values are greater than the x value for that certain point.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you soo much for your help
    I seriously needed it
    😊😊😊😊😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.