The Student Room Group

English Literature GCSE help

I just recently finsihed my english language exams and i got an A. I just started preparing for my english literature which is in June. All the teachers say that you will get one grade higher in literature but i am struggling. So, i was wondering if anyone knows any good tips for analysing poems, writing about it and all that good stuff? It would be great if i got some feedback from someone lol thank you.
Original post by Jasmiin
I just recently finsihed my english language exams and i got an A. I just started preparing for my english literature which is in June. All the teachers say that you will get one grade higher in literature but i am struggling. So, i was wondering if anyone knows any good tips for analysing poems, writing about it and all that good stuff? It would be great if i got some feedback from someone lol thank you.

Time yourself whilst doing practice essays to make sure you get the right amount of time for both questions. For poems include lots of terms such as metaphors, assonance, etc as well as just thinking about the meaning. I didn't in mine because I thought I'd found subtler and more interesting points but it cost me a grade. Also try remember some quotes so you don't spend lots of time looking through the book and make notes on themes that might come up.
Reply 2
Original post by DotDotDot...
Time yourself whilst doing practice essays to make sure you get the right amount of time for both questions. For poems include lots of terms such as metaphors, assonance, etc as well as just thinking about the meaning. I didn't in mine because I thought I'd found subtler and more interesting points but it cost me a grade. Also try remember some quotes so you don't spend lots of time looking through the book and make notes on themes that might come up.

Thank you so much for your tip, i managed to get an A in English lit too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest