Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    quick question everyone I had my great aunts name tattooed on my wrist just after she passed away with a little butterfly I've just been accepted into a primary PGCE but starting to worry a little about it. I tend to wear long sleeves the majority of the time but I was wondering how do most schools feel about tattoos. I've been talking to several teachers who have said not to worry as it's much more acceptable now and they have a few themselves. Any help on this would be fab. Thank you
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    My old RE teacher had a tattoo on her wrist and that was ok

An English teacher at my school has full sleeves on both arms but he has to wear long sleeved shirts because that's not acceptable (quite reasonably)

A small wrist tattoo should be fine

ReputationRep:
    ive had teachers with little harmless tattoos, as long as it doesnt cause offence then it will be fine

ReputationRep:
    My favourite chemistry teacher (instrumental in getting me an A* at GCSE tbh) had a massive dragon tattoo on his shoulderblade and a smaller one on his forearm. Tbh we all thought he looked like a badass because of it and it made us think a lot higher of him. I'd go as far as saying his charisma motivated people to work harder

He was a crazy good teacher. You should be fine

ReputationRep:
    Thank you everyone!!!

ReputationRep:
    I had a few teachers with tattoos. So long as it's not distracting or offensive I doubt it will be much cause for concern lol.

ReputationRep:
    My cousin's hubby has tattoos on literally every part of his body below his neck (not his hands) and he's a deputy head. I wouldn't worry, by maybe mention it before you start just incase.

ReputationRep:
    No shouldn't be a cause for concern. My chemistry teacher/ head of science was actually showing us the design of a tattoo he was getting. He has quite a few now. We didn't even realise for 4 years that he had any!
    My history teacher has a half sleeve, he just tends to only wear shirts that are long sleeve and none of us noticed anyway...

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all so much for the help! Feel much better now

ReputationRep:
    Equally I had plenty of teachers will tattoos, nothing to worry about there.

ReputationRep:
    On a similar note, what about piercings?

I've long since taken my more 'alternative' ones out, but still have three in each lobe, four cartilage piercings and a nose stud.

I have really thick hair, so my ear ones are hidden 99% of the time, so the only obvious one is my nose.

ReputationRep:
    We have a few teachers at my school with nose piercings.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.