Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    HI guys, doing my gcse's in a few years and at the moment i am looking at doing foundation maths. does anyone who has got into medicine have experience with being bad at maths and what you can do to over come it. i really want to become a doctor!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DANIELREED)
    HI guys, doing my gcse's in a few years and at the moment i am looking at doing foundation maths. does anyone who has got into medicine have experience with being bad at maths and what you can do to over come it. i really want to become a doctor!!
    You don't need to be an amazing mathemathician to do well in medical school or to work as a doctor (you need to be able to do some mental maths and basic calculations, but no one will ever ask you to do algebra or trigonometry).

But you do need at least a B in GCSE maths for the majority of medical schools. Does intermediate tier still exist? If not, I really would try for higher tier because otherwise you will be restricting your options fairly significantly...

ReputationRep:
    You're not even doing you GCSE's yet? If not you have loads of time to improve, you say you're not very good now, If you work hard at it you could drastically improve.

ReputationRep:
    Forgive me if im wrong but isn't the highest grade you can achieve in foundation a C? If so, its unlikely you'll get an interview at any med school and most require B as a minimum

ReputationRep:
    Most medical schools require you to do either the bmat or ukcat test, both of which have a mathematical component (bmat has mathematical problem solving, as well as a higher tier gcse component, Ukcat looks more at arithmetic speed), so you'd need a decent handle on maths to do well (although the weighting given to your score varies between universities).

ReputationRep:
    for my year the highest you can get GCSEs is a B

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.