Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Myth-Busting Mondays: Which STIs are curable? Watch

• View Poll Results: Which STIs are curable?
    Chlamydia
    90.41%
    Genital warts
    64.38%
    Genital herpes
    28.77%
    Gonorrhoea
    75.34%
    Syphilis
    56.16%
    HIV
    4.11%
    Trichomoniasis
    53.42%
    Pubic lice
    94.52%
    Scabies
    75.34%

• Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Welcome Squad
    Welcome to Myth-Busting Mondays, which aims to beat stereotypes and provoke discussion on perhaps often overlooked topics.

Many people know how STIs are transmitted and prevented (if
    you don't and want to find out more, or think you may have an STI, take a look at the NHS website for STIs), but do you know which STIs are curable?

Do you think there is enough awareness of STIs and whether they are treatable or curable? If not, what do you think could be done about this?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    If antibiotic resistance keeps up soon none of them will be curable :eek3:

Well.. mainly gonorrhea

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antibi...e_in_gonorrhea
    • Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    That's a really scary thought :indiff:

To be honest, before researching it, I wasn't completely sure which were curable and which weren't, and I study a healthcare course so should know better!
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by BurstingBubbles)
    That's a really scary thought :indiff:

To be honest, before researching it, I wasn't completely sure which were curable and which weren't, and I study a healthcare course so should know better!
    Some of it's a bit confusing. I said genital warts weren't curable because there's no cure for HPV I don't think, but you can get them treated :dontknow:
    • Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Welcome Squad
    Some of it's a bit confusing. I said genital warts weren't curable because there's no cure for HPV I don't think, but you can get them treated :dontknow:
    Yeah, I used the word "curable" for not being able to get rid of it. All of them are treatable, i.e to help the symptoms reduce or slow down in progression, but not all of them are curable!

ReputationRep:
    Hahah this quiz was tough! Will you be sharing the results later?
    • Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Queen Cersei)
    Hahah this quiz was tough! Will you be sharing the results later?
    Yep, I will do tomorrow It's interesting seeing the results of the poll so far :beard:

ReputationRep:
    chlamydia or gonorrhea can leave you infertile (can't remember which), are they still classed as curable if they leave you like this, although you can get rid of symptoms?
    • Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by chickenfoot)
    chlamydia or gonorrhea can leave you infertile (can't remember which), are they still classed as curable if they leave you like this, although you can get rid of symptoms?
    The poll is based on catching it early and whether it is therefore curable (i.e to get rid of it)

ReputationRep:
    I always wonder why there's so much stigma surrounding STIs. I think it's really counter-productive because it makes people afraid to speak to a doctor, and afraid to warn previous partners.

At the end of the day, we all have something down there, and all of them, by their nature and what we do with them, are susceptible to infections.

Take herpes - if you had a cold sore on your face, or if you tend to get cold sores, even though this is herpes, you wouldn't mind telling people. But try telling people (even friends) that you have genital herpes!!

It seems kind of unfair and damaging

ReputationRep:
    Lol at people that think herpes & HIV are curable.

They're gonna be in for a nasty surprise.
    • Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Welcome Squad
    Some interesting poll results :holmes:

So the answer, according to the NHS choices STIs page, is that HIV and genital herpes are not curable. There is also an argument that genital warts are not curable as they are able to reappear at any time. All the other STIs are curable, if caught early enough, but as mentioned above if left they can lead to incurable symptoms such as becoming infertile. So, if in doubt, get yourself checked at the GP, walk in centre, or GUM clinic - click here to find which clinic is nearest to you.

Thanks for taking part!

ReputationRep:

Well.. mainly gonorrhea

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antibi...e_in_gonorrhea
    I remember when I first heard about antibiotic-resistant gonorrhea - I would say it's primarily it's down to the fact that patients are not following the guidelines to medication. If it's followed how it should be, the disease should clear up and so should any of the symptoms (if any). If properly eradicated, then whatever curable STI/STD you have will not survive and evolve to grow resistant to the treatment.

FOLLOW THE TREATMENT WHEN AND HOW YOU SHOULD!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.