Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys this is my first post on these forums so apologies if I do/say something wrong.

So I'm in my final year of university, BA Sports Coaching and Development at the University of Derby, expecting at least a 2:1. I came to uni to do this course because my A-levels were bad (more on that later), anyway its coming up to the final stint now and the only reasonable outcome I can see is going into teaching. This is not an issue because I always thought that teaching would be my 'back-up' although I didn't really have a first choice so to speak.

The first problem with this is that my degree is basically Physical Education, of which there is almost no funding for trainee teachers. Ideally I would want the shortest training possible if it was unpaid, although I understand that these things take time. I have looked into the Teach First method of getting QTS but at this moment I can't get hold of my GCSE and A-level grades. I know I have 5 GCSE's at C or above including Maths, English and Science, but my A level's were terrible. DDE. Hence why i'm not on one of my first choice courses (International Relations incase anyone was wondering).

Really what I want to know is two things, peoples thoughts on the kind of jobs (Graduate or not) that i could look into, I'm open to doing a wide range of things and like new challenges although I don't want to be too far from home.

Also would my poor A-levels and degree that is not really in demand hold me back from going into teaching?

Thanks, Ben.

ReputationRep:
    I am on a teacher training course at Newman University, it was different for me as I didn't have a degree, so my highest qualifications were my a-levels. If I were you and I decided I wanted to go into teaching I would look at schools direct and PGCE courses and then email/contact the university/course provider and tell them you are expecting a 2.1 and ask them if your a-level grades will affect your admission. If so, you could retake an alevel. Your BA in Sports Coaching and Development will definitely have transferable skills to a teaching course though. I'm trying to write a PE lesson plan atm! Also I am finding that the teacher training course can at times be quite full on, so it would be good to really want to do it. Hope this helps in some way. If you have any more questions about going into teaching I can try my best to answer .

ReputationRep:
    Have you spoken to your university's careers' advisor?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SportsGuy95)
    Hi guys this is my first post on these forums so apologies if I do/say something wrong.

So I'm in my final year of university, BA Sports Coaching and Development at the University of Derby, expecting at least a 2:1. I came to uni to do this course because my A-levels were bad (more on that later), anyway its coming up to the final stint now and the only reasonable outcome I can see is going into teaching. This is not an issue because I always thought that teaching would be my 'back-up' although I didn't really have a first choice so to speak.

The first problem with this is that my degree is basically Physical Education, of which there is almost no funding for trainee teachers. Ideally I would want the shortest training possible if it was unpaid, although I understand that these things take time. I have looked into the Teach First method of getting QTS but at this moment I can't get hold of my GCSE and A-level grades. I know I have 5 GCSE's at C or above including Maths, English and Science, but my A level's were terrible. DDE. Hence why i'm not on one of my first choice courses (International Relations incase anyone was wondering).

Really what I want to know is two things, peoples thoughts on the kind of jobs (Graduate or not) that i could look into, I'm open to doing a wide range of things and like new challenges although I don't want to be too far from home.

Also would my poor A-levels and degree that is not really in demand hold me back from going into teaching?

Thanks, Ben.
    There is the same funding that was available to you as an undergraduate and the shortest route takes an academic year. If you have a look at the Teach First website though they don't list PE/similar as one of the required degrees to apply

https://graduates.teachfirst.org.uk/...t-requirements

Also have you got any experience in a school yet?

As for other jobs, many are open to people regardless of degree subject, what matters more is the applicant having work experience and soft skills.

ReputationRep:
    Do not go into teaching as a back up. You need to be passionate or you will quickly hate it and drop out.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with JamieInPompey, going into teaching because you've got nothing better to do is a very, very bad reason and you will almost certainly be put off the course and probably end up quitting because it's extremely intense. I love teaching and am passionate about the career and even I have days where I come home and wonder whether it's still for me. If you don't love it, don't do it. It's just a waste of a student loan and your time otherwise.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.