Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Josephine cuts an apple into thirds, she eats 1/3 herself and splits the rest between her rabbit and Guinea pig. Her rabbit gets 5/7 of the remaining apple and the Guinea pig gets the rest. What fraction of the whole apple does her Guinea pig get?

I keep getting minus numbers 😭

I don't know where else to ask since I've done loads of fractions questions just fine, I only have a problem with this one.

ReputationRep:
    No I think you're right in getting a negative answer. Are you getting -1/21 cause I think there's a mistake in the Q

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insha9)
    Josephine cuts an apple into thirds, she eats 1/3 herself and splits the rest between her rabbit and Guinea pig. Her rabbit gets 5/7 of the remaining apple and the Guinea pig gets the rest. What fraction of the whole apple does her Guinea pig get?

I don't know where else to ask since I've done loads of fractions questions just fine, I only have a problem with this one.
    Okay, so she's eaten a third of the apple. There's 2/3 of the apple left that gets split between her rabbit and the pig.

Now the rabbit gets 5/7 of the remaining (2/3) of the apple. This means the rabbit gets 5/7 * 2/3 of the entire apple.

If the rabbit get 5/7 of the remaining apple, how much of the remaining apple does the pig get? What can you do with this number to get the fraction of the entire apple that the pig gets?

ReputationRep:

"The rest" is 1-1/3=2/3 of the apple. If the rabbit gets 5/7 of the remainder, the guinea pig gets 1-5/7=2/7 of it. The remainder is 2/3 of the apple, as we just calculated. Thus the guinea pig gets 2/3*2/7 = 4/21 of the original apple.

Also don't say "minus numbers"; it's "negative numbers".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Okay, so she's eaten a third of the apple. There's 2/3 of the apple left that gets split between her rabbit and the pig.

Now the rabbit gets 5/7 of the remaining (2/3) of the apple. This means the rabbit gets 5/7 * 2/3 of the entire apple.

If the rabbit get 5/7 of the remaining apple, how much of the remaining apple does the pig get? What can you do with this number to get the fraction of the entire apple that the pig gets?
    Oh, it's you again. Better scram...

ReputationRep:

I may be making a blunder but if the rabbit gets five sevenths of two thirds then it gets 10/21;
    If the guinea pig gets two sevenths of the two thirds then it gets 4/21 which is more apple than is there?

Edit: haha never mind, no one tell my advanced higher maths class I can't do fractions

ReputationRep:

(Original post by Treen98)
    No I think you're right in getting a negative answer. Are you getting -1/21 cause I think there's a mistake in the Q
    There isn't a mistake in the Q. Just a small catch.

The person eats 1/3, let's call this 7/21 for ease.

The rabbit eats 5/7 of the remaining apple. That is the key here. The remaining apple is 14/21, try solving now . 14/21 is worked out from 21/21-7/21 just for clarification

ReputationRep:
    Yes I got -1/21.
    I did 2/3 - 5/7 I think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treen98)
    I may be making a blunder but if the rabbit gets five sevenths of two thirds then it gets 10/21;
    If the guinea pig gets two sevenths of the two thirds then it gets 4/21 which is more apple than is there?
    7/21 (1/3) + 10/21 (2/3*5/7) leaves 4/21 left no negative numbers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calzs34)
    7/21 (1/3) + 10/21 (2/3*5/7) leaves 4/21 left no negative numbers
    Yup, now I'm like :doh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calzs34)
    There isn't a mistake in the Q. Just a small catch.

The person eats 1/3, let's call this 7/21 for ease.

The rabbit eats 5/7 of the remaining apple. That is the key here. The remaining apple is 14/21, try solving now .
    Thank you. That makes a lot more sense. I'll give that a go now. Would you say that the question is worded well or not?

ReputationRep:
    Yes I got -1/21.
    I did 2/3 - 5/7 I think
    Look at my reply to your post. It's more complicated than what you tried to do...

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. That makes a lot more sense. I'll give that a go now. Would you say that the question is worded well or not?
    The question is worded perfectly well in my view.

ReputationRep:
    Actually I'm still getting it wrong. If I take 5/7 (or 15/21) away from 14/21 I'm still getting a negative answer.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it's more of an application question than bad wording, it's seeing if you can realise that if 1/3 of an apple is eaten then there can only be 2/3 left for everyone else . They can be tricky at first but make sure you read all the points next time . Have it a go and post your solution here

ReputationRep:
    Actually I'm still getting it wrong. If I take 5/7 (or 15/21) away from 14/21 I'm still getting a negative answer.
    READ MY POST. It's simply 2/3 times 2/7.

ReputationRep:
    By the way, please ignore the constellarknight person. He's just a troll, the maths forum is made up of much friendlier people than that, please don't be put off! He'll be sorted out in a moment.

ReputationRep:
    Try it again knowing that there is 14/21 left, and the rabbit pigs eats 5/7 of the 14/21 of the remaining apple. Leaving the gueina pig how much ?

ReputationRep:
    By the way, please ignore the constellarknight person. He's just a troll, the maths forum is made up of much friendlier people than that, please don't be put off! He'll be sorted out in a moment.
    What do you mean "sorted out"??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by constellarknight)
    What do you mean "sorted out"??
    Hopefully this

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.