Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in Year 9 and am going to be choosing my options in a few weeks. My initial idea was to choose French, History, Sociology and Computing - with Media Studies as my reserve.

However, after options evening I am starting to have second thoughts about Computing. There was a stand for every single option. Except Computing. When speaking to a teacher about Creative Media I asked him about Computing - to which he responded with a few vague sentances before instructing me to speak to another teacher. After making my way to said teacher, I asked him about Computing. He said that at my school there are currently no teachers good enough for students to achieve good grades, and there may not even be enough students to run a class. Also, he informed me that maths is quite an important part of Computing. Which I already knew, but chose to look past.

Anyway, I'm now not sure whether to keep Computing as my second option or to pick Media Studies instead. The only issue with Media Studies being that a lot of my subjects will be both essay based and require the same skills (these subjects being History, Sociology and Media Studies). Don't get me wrong - I enjoy subjects each of these, but would also like to show a wider range of skills, hence why I wanted to do Computing.

In short, given that both my maths skills and the Computing department at my school aren't great, should I choose Media Studies or Computing?

I am in Year 9 as well and I understand it being hard to deciding what to pick I chose ICT as my first Option and Computing as my second .However, I am not good at maths. Do you know what career path you are taking?As that helped me a lot to decide. As teachers at my school don't give good advice either. If you enjoy Creative Media then pick that or If you really want to pick Computing then do it. It's your choice really but pick something that would help you in college and in the future. I hope this helped and whatever you choose all the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beenish1)
    I am in Year 9 as well and I understand it being hard to deciding what to pick I chose ICT as my first Option and Computing as my second .However, I am not good at maths. Do you know what career path you are taking?As that helped me a lot to decide. As teachers at my school don't give good advice either. If you enjoy Creative Media then pick that or If you really want to pick Computing then do it. It's your choice really but pick something that would help you in college and in the future. I hope this helped and whatever you choose all the best.
    Thank you! And I'm not really sure about what exactly I want to do in the future, but I know I'd like to do something with either writing or using computers.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if they've changed the specification for computing, but the written exam is/was not that difficult. You would easily reach around 60-70% if you had some developed computer knowledge if you really had an interest, without even starting the course.

Using a good revision guide and practice questions will score you top marks in the written exam, even without a teacher (however good teachers can explain difficult concepts in an understandable simpler way, but the Internet is there as well).

The difficulty comes in the coursework. I have seen the complexity of the programming tasks vary, but there is nothing that is completely impossible or unsolvable in less than 100 lines of code (usually). Most of the marks come from the report anyway (analysis, testing, development, evaluation, etc).

You will need to be independent outside of lesson time to learn the programming language in more depth, if it feels like the teacher is unreliable.

It sounds like a huge workload, but what your teacher teaches you in one hour, you can probably google and understand in half an hour.

A GCSE in Computing is not always necessary if you want to do A Level Computer Science (relies more on your maths grades) and even A level Computer Science isn't necessary to do it at uni (it helps but it depends on maths as well).

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.