Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I'm currently running circles around myself in making my firm and insurance choices for University.

I have decided to set Hull as my firm after being well and truly taken back by the applicant day and it peaking my interest in my initial research.

I just attended my last applicant day at LJMU and now it's time to settle my choices with UCAS...

I can't, for the life of me, decide between LJMU and Sheff; although, I'm obviously aiming for Hull.

My girlfriend lives in Liverpool, which is the biggest pro AND con to choosing Liverpool, but I much preferred the applicant day there to Sheffield's. I love the city and nightlife and would certainly make use of the Lifestyles fitness centres.

On the other hand, whilst a little underwhelming, Sheffield is a 25min train ride home and I could potentially commute and save a whole lot of money. I currently study at Sheffield College as an access student and the majority of my classmates are going on to Sheff Hallam. I also appreciate that industry links are a little more pronounced in Sheffield, but find it hard to trust any of the Unistats when they're based on 10 people!!!!

Does anyone have anything to say about either course, whether it lives up to or exceeds expectations? My end-goal is obviously to be part of a team in games development, but I thoroughly enjoy creating applications for business and recreational use too.

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crkaz)
    So I'm currently running circles around myself in making my firm and insurance choices for University.

I have decided to set Hull as my firm after being well and truly taken back by the applicant day and it peaking my interest in my initial research.

I just attended my last applicant day at LJMU and now it's time to settle my choices with UCAS...

I can't, for the life of me, decide between LJMU and Sheff; although, I'm obviously aiming for Hull.

My girlfriend lives in Liverpool, which is the biggest pro AND con to choosing Liverpool, but I much preferred the applicant day there to Sheffield's. I love the city and nightlife and would certainly make use of the Lifestyles fitness centres.

On the other hand, whilst a little underwhelming, Sheffield is a 25min train ride home and I could potentially commute and save a whole lot of money. I currently study at Sheffield College as an access student and the majority of my classmates are going on to Sheff Hallam. I also appreciate that industry links are a little more pronounced in Sheffield, but find it hard to trust any of the Unistats when they're based on 10 people!!!!

Does anyone have anything to say about either course, whether it lives up to or exceeds expectations? My end-goal is obviously to be part of a team in games development, but I thoroughly enjoy creating applications for business and recreational use too.

Thanks in advance!
    Did you like the course content at LJMU or hallam?Also do you want freedom by staying far away from home?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jontyfernz)
    Did you like the course content at LJMU or hallam?Also do you want freedom by staying far away from home?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi Jonty, thanks for the response.

I did like the course content at both establishments, the biggest difference between the two seemed to be campus size. Liverpool's "tour of the facilities" didn't really involve much viewing of the facilities, but I've heard they have access to VR equipment and so on. Something that I did latch on to was the computer 'lab' they did show us only had single-monitor computer, which is atypical of computing courses.

I suppose those are the sort of details I'm wanting to know before deciding - everyone tells you, "we have state of the art facilities", but neither university really proved it!

Thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crkaz)
    Hi Jonty, thanks for the response.

I did like the course content at both establishments, the biggest difference between the two seemed to be campus size. Liverpool's "tour of the facilities" didn't really involve much viewing of the facilities, but I've heard they have access to VR equipment and so on. Something that I did latch on to was the computer 'lab' they did show us only had single-monitor computer, which is atypical of computing courses.

I suppose those are the sort of details I'm wanting to know before deciding - everyone tells you, "we have state of the art facilities", but neither university really proved it!

Thanks again.
    The VR lab would be a great piece of equipment for a games development course.But personally I feel Sheffield is a bit less expensive to live in as an international student

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 4, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.