The Student Room Group

Kind of lied on my student finance form but not really

So basically I just filled out my student finance form and it's not very flexible so I just went for the next best thing
I live on my own now and have done since September so I put I live with neither parent which is true
It then asks me if I've been financially independent for 3 years which I technically have been due to having a full time job but I lived with my mum til September
So I ticked yes obviously
Is that lying ? I live on my own and lve worked full time and paid board and my own way before moving out ?
Also they wouldn't let me overlap jobs so I just put that I was working at a job I worked on and off for 3 years as working there non stop from start to finish is that going to be an issue ?
Alssooooo my current job is off the books in a bar but that's just been part time while I've been studying, if they check my employer can obviously clarify but I have no payslips
Reply 1
Basically I've sort of lied but only to fit the questions which are really oddly worded anyway
Reply 2
Original post by hanasmith95
Basically I've sort of lied but only to fit the questions which are really oddly worded anyway

In order to be considered "independent" in your situation, you will need to have earned £7500 a year for three full years before your course starts - and you will have to provide proof of that. What you tell SF will be cross-checked against your tax records, which clearly you don't have. Plus the process will raise your profile to HMRC.

The new SF criteria wording does seem designed to confuse. However, I don't think you meet their independence criteria and eveb if you do, you can't prove it because your work was off the books. I think you need to be assessed based on the income of your mother (and her live-in partner if she has one).

Contact SF and say you've misunderstood and need to change that part of your application. Leaving it as it is will just store up trouble for the coming months and could delay your SF loans arriving. If SF think you're deliberately trying to defraud them, they could bar you from getting any SF at all.
Reply 3
I didn't realise there was a guide on student finance and it does say you can apply as independent if you have earned over 7000 a year for 3 years, and also that this period can be broken up, I just need to prove it with payslips or p60s which I could seeing as I've had other tax paid jobs so I'm hoping it shouldn't be an issue
Reply 4
So basically I just filled out my student finance form and it's not very flexible so I just went for the next best thing
I live on my own now and have done since September so I put I live with neither parent which is true
It then asks me if I've been financially independent for 3 years which I technically have been due to having a full time job but I lived with my mum til September
So I ticked yes obviously
Is that lying ? I live on my own and lve worked full time and paid board and my own way before moving out ?
Also they wouldn't let me overlap jobs so I just put that I was working at a job I worked on and off for 3 years as working there non stop from start to finish is that going to be an issue ?
Alssooooo my current job is off the books in a bar but that's just been part time while I've been studying, if they check my employer can obviously clarify but I have no payslips

They will ask to see your p60 or payslips you received over the past 36 months.
Reply 5
Original post by chikane
They will ask to see your p60 or payslips you received over the past 36 months.

Hmm I have some from other jobs but I couldn't supply a solid 36 months 😩 It's annoying cos I'm technically eligible and it's double the amount which I could do with as I don't rely on anyone else for money, it's weird having to beg to borrow money haha which is essentially what sfe ask us to do
Reply 6
Hmm I have some from other jobs but I couldn't supply a solid 36 months 😩 It's annoying cos I'm technically eligible and it's double the amount which I could do with as I don't rely on anyone else for money, it's weird having to beg to borrow money haha which is essentially what sfe ask us to do

Give them a call and ask or ask on their fb page?
Reply 7
There is an Ask Student Finance section in this part of the forum, where an official SF rep answers questions every Wednesday.
Reply 8
Omg amazing hahaha I feel like an idiot now
The on and off job thing might pass muster but financially independent means paying your own rent food bills plus you have to have had your own address for the 3 years
Reply 10
Original post by scrotgrot
The on and off job thing might pass muster but financially independent means paying your own rent food bills plus you have to have had your own address for the 3 years

You can be considered for independent status if living with a parent/parents, but you must be able to prove that you've been paying a market rent for your room, buying/cooking your own food, paying a full share of the bills etc. That takes some careful record keeping which ties up with bank statements, so it's not something you could do in retrospect if you didn't have the paper trail set up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending