Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering if anyone here had gone through clearing on results day here and how likely it is to get a place through this. I'm looking to do life sciences at Uni of Leeds or Uni of Manchester in particular!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by lydia224)
    I was just wondering if anyone here had gone through clearing on results day here and how likely it is to get a place through this. I'm looking to do life sciences at Uni of Leeds or Uni of Manchester in particular!
    What do you mean by "going through clearing on results day".

DO you mean people who have ended up in clearing because they missed the offers for their firm/insurance choices or are you talking about people applying for the first time on results day?

ReputationRep:
    I mean applicants who haven't obtained the required grades on results day

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I went through clearing last year. There are loads of options on UCAS to choose from, as long as you didnt fail your subjects there is almost guaranteed to be courses with places on for your subject. Whether Leeds or Manchester have places completely depends on how competitive the course your are applying for is but even if they don't have places other similar uni should have them.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I mean applicants who haven't obtained the required grades on results day

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is there a reason that you think you're going to miss your offer conditions? Or are you trying to weigh up the risk of accepting a firm/insurance both with very high conditions?

ReputationRep:
    I'm just considering it as a last resort in case I don't achieve my predicted grades!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I'm just considering it as a last resort in case I don't achieve my predicted grades!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Have a look at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...ing-adjustment

(also http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3467547 will give you an idea which universities released their vacancy lists before results day last year - and if you read through the thread some comments on the courses listed).

ReputationRep:
    Last year one of my brothers missed his firm by 2 marks. They weren't willing to wait for a remark and he didn't want to go to his insurance. He discovered that one of his other choices ( who had the same requirements as his firm) had places in clearing. He withdrew from his insurance,was released into clearing, applied to the other place and half an hour later had a place. This was on the Saturday though as initially he was going to take a gap year until my dad persuaded him to look at clearing. It turned out to be a fantastic decision and he is at one of his original choices doing the course he originally applied to do so all is good.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by rhiannon277)
    Last year one of my brothers missed his firm by 2 marks. They weren't willing to wait for a remark and he didn't want to go to his insurance. He discovered that one of his other choices ( who had the same requirements as his firm) had places in clearing. He withdrew from his insurance,was released into clearing, applied to the other place and half an hour later had a place. This was on the Saturday though as initially he was going to take a gap year until my dad persuaded him to look at clearing. It turned out to be a fantastic decision and he is at one of his original choices doing the course he originally applied to do so all is good.
    2 grades, or 2 UMS in one subject?

Was the firm Oxbridge/Imperial/UCL/LSE/Durham?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    2 grades, or 2 UMS in one subject?

Was the firm Oxbridge/Imperial/UCL/LSE/Durham?
    2 UMS and the firm was indeed Durham.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by rhiannon277)
    2 UMS and the firm was indeed Durham.
    Not unexpected...

Glad it worked out OK in the end

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, can I ask a question?
    If I don't get the grades for my firm choice but the grades for my insurance. Is there anyway I can go through clearing to get my firm choice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silver phoenix)
    If I don't get the grades for my firm choice but the grades for my insurance. Is there anyway I can go through clearing to get my firm choice?
    No. If your firm choice rejects you, you cannot reapply to them through clearing.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by silver phoenix)
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    No. If your firm choice rejects you, you cannot reapply to them through clearing.
    Well you *can* but it's a complete waste of time.

You're only passed to your insurance if your firm rejects you. Which means they've already considered whether they will accept you with lower grades.

If they've considered and rejected you thenphoning up to reapply through clearing is a waste of time. Especially as it is against UCAS rules for a university to speak to you about clearing space when you're committed to another university (your insurance ).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.