Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Complex functions - loci in the complex plane Watch

ReputationRep:
    A transformation, T, maps the point P from the z plane to Q in the w plane, defined below.

\displaystyle w = \frac{2-iz}{z}, z \in \mathbb{C}, z\neq 0

What is the locus of the point P, if P is mapped to Q which has locus  arg(w)=\frac{ \pi }{3} .

I got  \displaystyle arg \left(\frac{z+2i}{z} \right )=\frac{5 \pi}{6} .
    Can someone just quickly check this and tell me what answer they got. Would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ano123)
    A transformation, T, maps the point P from the z plane to Q in the w plane, defined below.

\displaystyle w = \frac{2-iz}{z}, z \in \mathbb{C}, z\neq 0

What is the locus of the point P, if P is mapped to Q which has locus  arg(w)=\frac{ \pi }{3} .

I got  \displaystyle arg \left(\frac{z+2i}{z} \right )=\frac{5 \pi}{6} .
    Can someone just quickly check this and tell me what answer they got. Would be appreciated.
    well it is correct but is there a reason why you want it like this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    well it is correct but is there a reason why you want it like this?
    What do you mean? The form that it is in?

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean? The form that it is in?
    yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    yes
    I think it probably the easiest to sketch in this form.

ReputationRep:
    it is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    it is
    Hi, sorry to hijack your thread but i have a question for you both

So i was trying to sketch  \displaystyle \displaystyle arg \left(\frac{z+2i}{z} \right )=\frac{5 \pi}{6} but give up and went to wolfham alpha to see it, only to find it was a line

usually my method is to pick some values for the argument and find where the lines meet. An example below;

(note: i will quote angles in degrees rather than radians, just because i cba latexing it, i know its wrong and im sorry :spank:)

I would do arg(z) = 0 therefore arg(z-2i) = -45, draw the lines and "X" where they cross
    arg(z) = 60 therefore arg(z-2i) = 15 and do the same etc until I see the part circle which i can effectively dot to dot

however unless i am being really dumb this method cant be applied to OPs question, so what other (and probably better) method is there for these questions?

thanks, and once again sorry for hijacking OP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DylanJ42)

So i was trying to sketch  \displaystyle \displaystyle arg \left(\frac{z+2i}{z} \right )=\frac{5 \pi}{6} but give up and went to wolfham alpha to see it, only to find it was a line

usually my method is to pick some values for the argument and find where the lines meet. An example below;

(note: i will quote angles in degrees rather than radians, just because i cba latexing it, i know its wrong and im sorry :spank:)

I would do arg(z) = 0 therefore arg(z-2i) = -45, draw the lines and "X" where they cross
    arg(z) = 60 therefore arg(z-2i) = 15 and do the same etc until I see the part circle which i can effectively dot to dot

however unless i am being really dumb this method cant be applied to OPs question, so what other (and probably better) method is there for these questions?

these are arcs of circles

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    these are arcs of circles
    yep.. is this it?

but is there a better method, my current method seems very unreliable

ReputationRep:
    yep.. is this it?

Look up the "arc of circles" video On examsolutions under complex loci

ReputationRep:

You will start at -2i, then draw an arc of a circle (minor arc as angle is greater than  \pi/2 ) anticlockwise to the origin, o+oi. As Zacken has done.

ReputationRep:
    yep.. is this it?

the geometric approach is pants, but in exams will be adequate
    I was educated to use algebra to obtain the equation of the circle, and then get the arc from algebraic constraints

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Look up the "arc of circles" video On examsolutions under complex loci
    i will do once I start FP2 revision again, it has been too long since I done it

(Original post by B_9710)
    You will start at -2i, then draw an arc of a circle (minor arc as angle is greater than  \pi/2 ) anticlockwise to the origin, o+oi.
    and that's all you do?

so in my example above;  \displaystyle \arg(z) - \arg(z-2i) = \frac{\pi}{4} you start at (0,0) and draw an arc to 2i, go anticlockwise and its major because angle is less than  \displaystyle \frac{\pi}{2} ?

and im guessing if the angle is minus you do a clockwise arc? with minor if |angle| > pi/2 and major if |angle| < pi/2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    the geometric approach is pants, but in exams will be adequate
    I was educated to use algebra to obtain the equation of the circle, and then get the arc from algebraic constraints
    damn right, it's very tedious

I will educate myself to use algebra, it seems much better

thank you

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you got it, yep.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you got it, yep.
    wtf :laugh: that's so much easier than my method, thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    wtf :laugh: that's so much easier than my method, thanks a lot
    You understand why we start at (0,0) in your case though, right? If it was arg(z -(a+ib)) - arg(blah) you'd start from (a,b).

ReputationRep:
    The equation of the circle that the arc lies on is
     \displaystyle (x+\sqrt3)^2+(y+1)^2=4 (please correct me if I have made a mistake).

Let's let the arc, C be defined by the parametric equations
     x=2\sin t-\sqrt3 and  y=2\cos t-1 , for  \pi/3 \leqslant t \leqslant 2\pi/3 .
    That's the arc in the x-y plane.

ReputationRep:
    You understand why we start at (0,0) in your case though, right? If it was arg(z -(a+ib)) - arg(blah) you'd start from (a,b).
    if this is right then im all good

ReputationRep:
    if this is right then im all good

Correct.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.