Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Blogging to Life Success watch

Hello! Just a disclaimer, this is more for my own motivational/keeping track purposes more than attracting an audience. Nevertheless, feel free to comment and read what I write.

I'm currently a Year 12 student doing A-Levels in English Language, Government and Politics and History. Besides Politics, the rest are linear courses, so all my exams are at the end of Year 13. In Politics, I have two exams on 6th and 9th June.

From Year 7 to Year 11, I attended a relatively low-grade independent school, achieving mediocre GCSE results - 1 A*, 4 As, 3 Bs and a C. On reflection, I should have worked much harder, and I could have achieved better grades. But the hard truth is that I didn't, and it's too late to correct it. In the summer holidays following the end of Year 11, my family moved house to the other side of the country, because of lousy employment prospects where we used to live. I then joined a state boys school, and take two of my subjects (English Lang and Economics) at a girls school across the road.
    I have a strong interest in politics, and was looking at either politics or international relations degrees, but for some reason over the past few weeks I have changed my mind and focused on doing law in order to become a barrister. A long shot, perhaps, but possible. With that in mind, the best universities for a career at the bar all require very high grades, something achievable but only with considerable work.
    Past Two Months:
    In January, we had mock exams, and I did all right but not particularly fantastically. I got a B in Economics, B in English Language, C in Politics (B in one half, D in the other) and D in History. I was personally quite surprised, as I thought Economics and English Lang were my weaker subjects, so I firmly believe I can bump up Politics and History with some solid exam technique. My school put my 'expected grades' at AAA in Economics, English Lang and Politics, and C in History. I am also taking the EPQ with the aim to submit in November.
    So, I went to a UCAS convention in Manchester today and picked up quite a few prospectuses. Currently, the course I am quite keen on is LLB Politics, Philosophy and Law at KCL, who want A*AA. Achievable, but difficult. All the best law courses basically require AAB or above, although Liverpool is apparently quite good and only want ABB. Let's see how I get on, shall we?
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.