The Flying Bomb Theory

Watch this thread
bottlemen
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi.

For my Advanced Higher Geography Dissertation I'm doing a spatial analysis of pubs in the center of the city where I live. To do this I was told to carry out the Nearest Neighbour Statistic and then further analyse the result using the Flying Bomb technique. Nearest Neighbour gave me a result of regular dispersion whereas the Flying Bomb technique is showing that the pattern of dispersion is random. Does anyone know why I could be getting two different results?

Thanks
Gregorius
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by bottlemen)
Hi.

For my Advanced Higher Geography Dissertation I'm doing a spatial analysis of pubs in the center of the city where I live. To do this I was told to carry out the Nearest Neighbour Statistic and then further analyse the result using the Flying Bomb technique. Nearest Neighbour gave me a result of regular dispersion whereas the Flying Bomb technique is showing that the pattern of dispersion is random. Does anyone know why I could be getting two different results?

Thanks
When you do spatial statistics, one of the features of the discipline is that you often simplify the problem by using a specific statistic that focusses in on one aspect of the problem. The distribution of this statistic is computed under the null hypothesis and conclusions are made. The problem is that by focussing in on one aspect of the situation, you may miss another aspect. Hence one often uses several different statistics and techniques to attack the same problem - and they may give different answers.

Moving to your specific problem, you will need to explain the techniques that you are using in more detail - A google search for "flying bomb technique" gave nothing, for example. You will also need to explain what you mean by "regular" versus "random" dispersion.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (60)
66.67%
No (23)
25.56%
I didn't use it to prepare (7)
7.78%

Watched Threads