Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm a year 12 student and I want to apply to universities in the US but that would mean I have to take the standardized tests. Which tests would be better to take ACT or SAT and when should I take them?

ReputationRep:
    Both are accepted by US universities.

There are some differences in the exam syllabus/content. Pick the one which has the most convenient exam timing for you. Most American high school students will take 2-3 SATs (universities only factor in the highest grade). The first one you take, even with studying, usually is lower than any following re-sits, especially for people unused to the standardized exam format.

If you are applying for 2017 Sept admissin, your last SAT/ACT exam should be taken by Dec 2016.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StellaDodwell)
    I'm a year 12 student and I want to apply to universities in the US but that would mean I have to take the standardized tests. Which tests would be better to take ACT or SAT and when should I take them?
    The SAT has recently been updated, and they have adjusted the exam format quite a bit. Whilst I took the old SAT, I look at the new SAT now, and I now think I would prefer the ACT over the new one.

If you absolutely abhor science, I would suggest you take the SAT, as the ACT has a science portion to it.

Usually it is very common for students to take these standardised exams twice. But do keep in mind that many universities do want to see the scores of both exams you have taken!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever been hacked?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.