Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Official thread for WJEC exam Hamlet and The Revenger's Tragedy 2016 Watch

ReputationRep:
    16th June WJEC exam, Hamlet and The Revenger's Tragedy. Please share all the information and tips you have for this exam. Let's help one another!

ReputationRep:
    Predicted exam question:

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing this exam and I'm struggling so much with it tbh, think we all just need to share as many ideas as we can!

ReputationRep:
    Shmoop Notes has a brilliant section on their page, full of quotes organised into themes etc. I recommend checking it out.

In addition, what I've been trying to do, is just build up some contextual points which can literally be placed in any essay. The similarities between Hamlet and Amleth, Hamatria, **** like that.

Plus idk i mean it's only a tiny thing, but even just a brief mention of the fact it's the 400th anniversary of his death could be a nice touch.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by FifiJay)
    16th June WJEC exam, Hamlet and The Revenger's Tragedy. Please share all the information and tips you have for this exam. Let's help one another!
    Thanks for making this thread OP! I've added it to the Exam Directory Mega-Thread, which you can find here. Good luck with your exams! :parrot:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FifiJay)
    It's the 17th of June, not the 16th! Wanted to let you know just in case this isn't a typo

ReputationRep:
    how's everyone doing their revision? so far I have focused on key themes and characters but not sure where to go from there...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sixthformer122)
    how's everyone doing their revision? so far I have focused on key themes and characters but not sure where to go from there...
    Have you made flash cards? An individual card for each theme/character can work well (including key quotes). I also made a separate set during my mock in January of all of the key Hamlet quotes from the CGP guide and then added my own. I'm due to do that for Revenger's and Blake (the poet we're studying) after next week for use the night before the exam as a quick reminder.

I'd also recommend making a detailed plan for each past paper question (open book at the beginning and then move to closed book) and showing it to your teacher/a peer to see if they can understand how your argument flows. If it's received positively, write the answer under timed conditions and if your teacher doesn't mind, hand it in to be marked. If they can't, check against the mark scheme.

We've done something called 'Rainbow Analysis' for the Blake which may come in handy for this as it really helps you focus on AO2. When I'm back at sixth form I'll pop the document on here somehow.

Hope this helps?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charthec)
    Have you made flash cards? An individual card for each theme/character can work well (including key quotes). I also made a separate set during my mock in January of all of the key Hamlet quotes from the CGP guide and then added my own. I'm due to do that for Revenger's and Blake (the poet we're studying) after next week for use the night before the exam as a quick reminder.

I'd also recommend making a detailed plan for each past paper question (open book at the beginning and then move to closed book) and showing it to your teacher/a peer to see if they can see understand your argument flows. If it's received positively, write the answer under timed conditions and if your teacher doesn't mind, hand it in to be marked. If they can't, check against the mark scheme.

We've done something called 'Rainbow Analysis' for the Blake which may come in handy for this as it really helps you focus on AO2. When I'm back at sixth form I'll pop the document on here somehow.

Hope this helps?
    Yes thank you, will definitely do the flash cards! There seems to be an exhaustive list of themes though, from looking at past papers the themes that have come up were not the same ones that the teacher had compiled a list of? for example, we got the obvious ones from the teacher e.g. madness, corruption but in past years, duty/ betrayal / crime and punishment have come up which I would be less confident in answering so should I just do as many as I can?
    Also, never heard of rainbow analysis which sounds like it might be good?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Yes thank you, will definitely do the flash cards! There seems to be an exhaustive list of themes though, from looking at past papers the themes that have come up were not the same ones that the teacher had compiled a list of? for example, we got the obvious ones from the teacher e.g. madness, corruption but in past years, duty/ betrayal / crime and punishment have come up which I would be less confident in answering so should I just do as many as I can?
    Also, never heard of rainbow analysis which sounds like it might be good?

Thanks
    I'd say do the main ones (corruption, death, appearance/reality, madness, gender and sexuality) but then a few that are a bit more 'out there'. We get a choice of two questions in the exam, so it's likely that one of them will be similar to something you've looked at before. It's up to you though; if you find doing as many as you can useful then go for it.

Rainbow analysis is fab. It's about closely analysing individual quotes and it gets you into the habit of analysing deeply so I highly recommend it. It may be good if you're struggling to remember key quotes too, as you really have to think about them (but you don't realise you're doing it, which is the beauty of it). I'll try my best to get it up here tomorrow so you can have a go and gauge it's usefulness in your revision.

ReputationRep:
    Yes thank you, will definitely do the flash cards! There seems to be an exhaustive list of themes though, from looking at past papers the themes that have come up were not the same ones that the teacher had compiled a list of? for example, we got the obvious ones from the teacher e.g. madness, corruption but in past years, duty/ betrayal / crime and punishment have come up which I would be less confident in answering so should I just do as many as I can?Also, never heard of rainbow analysis which sounds like it might be good?Thanks
    I'd say do the main ones (corruption, death, appearance/reality, madness, gender and sexuality) but then a few that are a bit more 'out there'. We get a choice of two questions in the exam, so it's likely that one of them will be similar to something you've looked at before. It's up to you though; if you find doing as many as you can useful then go for it.

Rainbow analysis is fab. It's about closely analysing individual quotes and it gets you into the habit of analysing deeply so I highly recommend it. It may be good if you're struggling to remember key quotes too, as you really have to think about them (but you don't realise you're doing it, which is the beauty of it). I'll try my best to get it up here tomorrow so you can have a go and gauge it's usefulness in your revision.

Here you go!
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docx Rainbow analysis Poetry example.docx (36.2 KB, 140 views)

ReputationRep:
    Here you go!

Lovely, thanks so much! I will give that a go

Any more teacher predictions on what might come up?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have a list of quotes already prepared for Hamlet and Revenger's that they wouldn't mind sharing? I'm trying to do them myself but it's really time consuming so any documents or lists would be immensely helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luvylu)
    Does anyone have a list of quotes already prepared for Hamlet and Revenger's that they wouldn't mind sharing? I'm trying to do them myself but it's really time consuming so any documents or lists would be immensely helpful
    The CGP guide for Hamlet has a great list - do you have that?

I'm working on Revenger's and I'll share it with you all as soon as I have it

ReputationRep:
    has anyone got any examples of getting form, structure and language (ao2) marks for Hamlet?

ReputationRep:
    I've had a look at all past questions and it seems that women, gender and corruption could be likely. I also think they might finish on something like Tragedy, Revenge has come up several times but Tragedy hasn't. It seems a likely one to finish the course on...when the bad bleeds the tragedy will be good eh?

ReputationRep:
    Also, for those doing Blake how many poems have you learnt...I've got about 6 solidly with passing reference to a few more.

ReputationRep:
    Here is a list of all past themes that have come up:
    Death
    Sympathy
    Deceit
    Madness
    Ugly Behaviour
    Appearance vs Reality
    Decay
    Dramatic Techniques
    Social Values
    Chance
    Loyalty
    Revenge
    Pretence
    Good vs Evil
    Crime and Punishment
    Family
    Betrayal
    Political Values
    Moral Responsibility
    Comedy
    Women
    Duty
    Hamlet/Vindice
    Justice

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.