Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I'm a 5th year Scottish student currently studying 3 SQA highers in Biology, Chemistry and English. I'm resisting my National 5 Maths this year as I chose to request withdrawl from the final exam in 4th year knowing that in order to pass it at the time I would have deviated from my other subject. I'm also studying National 5 geography for the first time and plan to take it to higher in my final year

I have always had a strong interest in science with biology and chemistry being strengths throughout secondary school. Animals have played a big part in my life and I already have a great deal of experience with farm livestock having lived on a working farm for the past 2 years. I love exotic animals and have a dedicated reptile and fish room with multiple species of marine and freshwater fish, snakes, frogs and lizards many of which I also breed.

I have always wanted to study at university level and would love to get involved in veterinary medicine and become a veterinary surgeon. I'm aware that with my current level of study and achievable highers a uni offering a vet med and surgery degree isn't the going to accept me since I don't meet the minimum entry requirements.

My current plan is to sit a different honours degree with lower entry requirements in a biological science. I would then use this to apply to a graduate entry vet med and surgery honours degree. I'm aware this route is long and would take a good 8 years. It would also be costly due to the non government funded second degree but my family are willing to fund it and support me through the longer route.

My question is what should I sit my first honours degree in before vet med? Which biological science is best and sets me up well for veterinary? Or is this just a crazy idea that's not likely to work anyway? I'd also love some suggestions on which subjects to sit next year. Any thoughts/opinions are appreciated.

Sorry it's so long. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Here are a few examples from the RVC website "Animal Science, Biochemistry, Biological Sciences, Bioveterinary Sciences, Physiology, Veterinary Nursing, Veterinary Sciences, Zoology".
    Zoology and Biovet are the most common I would say. I'm doing Biochemistry and I'm also hoping to apply
    Also... Some vet schools still require you to have Advanced Highers even though you will have a degree. So I would definitely recommend you doing at least AH Bio and Chem next year and 2 extra highers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C.Craft)
    Hi. I'm a 5th year Scottish student currently studying 3 SQA highers in Biology, Chemistry and English. I'm resisting my National 5 Maths this year as I chose to request withdrawl from the final exam in 4th year knowing that in order to pass it at the time I would have deviated from my other subject. I'm also studying National 5 geography for the first time and plan to take it to higher in my final year

I have always had a strong interest in science with biology and chemistry being strengths throughout secondary school. Animals have played a big part in my life and I already have a great deal of experience with farm livestock having lived on a working farm for the past 2 years. I love exotic animals and have a dedicated reptile and fish room with multiple species of marine and freshwater fish, snakes, frogs and lizards many of which I also breed.

I have always wanted to study at university level and would love to get involved in veterinary medicine and become a veterinary surgeon. I'm aware that with my current level of study and achievable highers a uni offering a vet med and surgery degree isn't the going to accept me since I don't meet the minimum entry requirements.

My current plan is to sit a different honours degree with lower entry requirements in a biological science. I would then use this to apply to a graduate entry vet med and surgery honours degree. I'm aware this route is long and would take a good 8 years. It would also be costly due to the non government funded second degree but my family are willing to fund it and support me through the longer route.

My question is what should I sit my first honours degree in before vet med? Which biological science is best and sets me up well for veterinary? Or is this just a crazy idea that's not likely to work anyway? I'd also love some suggestions on which subjects to sit next year. Any thoughts/opinions are appreciated.

Sorry it's so long. Thanks.
    Hey,

I did biovet before going on to do vet med as a graduate student. In some ways it set me up better, in some it made no difference. But you need to choose a science degree which is accepted at the universities.
    You will however, still need the grades even when applying with a degree. For instance for A levels they require graduate students to still have the relevant grade when applying, I don't know much about Scottish exams, but I presume you would still need the grades they ask for alongside the degree (they won't be as high as an applicant without a degree but will still need to be achieved). Contact each of the universities admissions offices and check with them what you would require alongside a degree

It wasn't the easiest route to go down, and I had to work hard, but I didn't have the grades when I applied so it was the best option for me, and it's worked out fine!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, im hoping to do what you're doing and study bioveterinary sciences and vet nursing at bristol next year. Then do vet med at the RVC. Where do you study? And what did you get in your a levels by the way? Also, did you have to at some point get all A's?

X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TypicalRemix)
    Hi there, im hoping to do what you're doing and study bioveterinary sciences and vet nursing at bristol next year. Then do vet med at the RVC. Where do you study? And what did you get in your a levels by the way? Also, did you have to at some point get all A's?

X
    Is this a reply to me? 😂
    I'm at Liverpool now. I did a national diploma in animal management and I got DDD which at the time was equivalent to 3 A's at A level. I was never required to do a levels by Liverpool, Bristol or Nottingham when I applied but now graduate applicants need to have chemistry at AS level (I think) as its changed.
    It's a very expensive route, my family have to pay the £9000 a year tuition fees for me, otherwise I wouldn't be here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.