The Student Room Group

Doctors and medical students with eating disorders

I'm a first year and I've had an eating disorder. When I started uni I was weight restored and generally much better so I wasn't referred to an ED service at uni. Recently I've started loosing weight again and I don't know what to do, I'm worried if I tell someone that I could be forced to take a leave of absence or to gain weight and that it might affect my job prospects in the future, I feel so alone with this.

Does anyone have any experience of this and do you know if its possible to carry on studying medicine or be a doctor with an eating disorder? Is there a minimum BMI or anything like that?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Reply 1
The consequences of not telling anyone are more serious than those of telling someone and seeking appropriate help, both in terms of your health and fitness to practice. Hiding a serious medical condition is not a good idea.

You might have to take some time out, but that won't necessarily affect your career in the future - it's important for you to be healthy and have healthy coping mechanisms in order to get through the stresses of medical school. There are other med students and doctors out there with eating disorders, and there is no minimum BMI for job applications, but think of your long-term health and ability to cope with the course. Don't be afraid to go and speak to your GP and ask for a referral to the local ED service.
i'm Still PRSOM for Helenia !

Helenia's advice is spot on, un disclosed health problems are an FtP issue and also don;t afford you the protections offered by the equality act for long termconditions / disabilities.
Reply 3
Thanks for the advice, I think deep down I knew that I need to say something or it would be a FtP issue, I just find it scary. I've made an appointment to see my GP next week so I'll see what they think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending